Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Things People Say

I became an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher in order to pay the bills, my student loan bills to be specific (by the way I feel the need to mention that Alan Greenspan is killing me, for the love of God please stop rising interest rates!). Unfortunately, being an academic does not pay very well (at least in Germany it does not) and until November the German was still locked into his indentured servitude (i.e. student teaching). Teaching English has been a lot more difficult and challenging than I ever imagined. I am consistently asked questions that I have no answers to. "But, Claire why do you say that in English?" "I don't know why! It is just what we say!"

I have had many amusing moments and I have now dedicated myself to ridding Germans of their bad English habits. This is not an exhaustive list, but my top 5.

1. I drive my bike to work.
2. We made party on the weekend.
3. What is wrong with the computer? It does not take function!
4. I do not have a clock. (they mean a watch)
5. He is looking at TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

raising