Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I am a super hero

The past two days have involved way too many trips to the doctor. Monday I made my last trip to the dentist, well for at least a month anyway. I got four fillings and HE DID NOT USE NOVICANE. That's right. I took it like a woman. I say woman, because the man I know best, the German, looked at me like I was on crack when I told him about my "powering through." "Well, that is just crazy," he said. It was not comfortable and there were a few moments when the dentist hit a nerve, but it was better without having a needle stuck in my gum.

So there you have it. In my warped mind, getting a needle stuck in your gum is much worse than having a drill taken to the tooth. I have to go back to the dentist at the end of February to get a bridge put in. I have a hole where a tooth is supposed to be. It is on the side, so you cannot see it. I am not sure that I want the bridge, as the gap in my teeth gives me a little bit of redneck street cred.

Yesterday, I spent two hours at the doctor with the German. On Tuesday at 4:30am the German woke me up to inform me that he had stomach / intestinal flu. I told him to take an immodium, leave me alone, and I went back to my snoring. At 7:30am I got up and realized just what bad shape he was in and also felt like a complete ass hole. I cancelled my morning English lesson and drove him to the doctor. Then I spent the rest of the day taking care of him. If I have kids, I guess I have to get used to this.

This stomach flu has attacked everyone in the family. All of my in laws have had it. On Sunday we went to my mother-in-law's birthday breakfast, and we think that the German caught it from his 4 year old nephew. I show no signs of being sick. The German thinks that I am an alien. How else can you get fillings with no novicane and not get the dreaded stomach flu? I am a super hero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you will be donning a spandex based suit & cape? I'm right there with you about the Novocain. I'd rather know what they were doing as opposed to being all numbed up. And word for the redneck street cred. I come by mine via Coke for breakfast. And it must be that American constitution of yours preventing you from getting sick. See I knew all those sugary, Saturday morning cereals would pay off. Perhaps you've petrified yourself :-)

Hope the German is feeling better. Being ill rots.

-E

Claire said...

I do think I shall design a suit for myself. But no cape! I have seen the Incredibles. Caps can come to no good. The German thinks that it is the bad drinking water in the U.S. that has petrified me.