Sunday, January 01, 2006

Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!! I got up this morning and immediately started thinking about resolutions. Remarkably, I do not have a hangover so I can write this with a clear head and will be held to my resolutions by my husband. I thought about the regular ones: lose weight, get in shape, save money, quit smoking (I actually did the last one two years ago). I always make these resolutions, and I NEVER keep them. So this year, I decided to make a couple of resolutions that I think are worth keeping.

I resolve to BE HAPPY.

We all get caught up in the "Grass is greener on the other side" mentality. If I just had that car or if I could just get that job. Her life must be so easy. This is all a lot of BS. I do it all the time myself and I forget to see and appreciate the things that are right in front of me. I have a wonderful husband, great friends and family, a nice apartment, and a job that I like about 80% of the time. And yet, I always think about the things that "might have been." Once I start down that road I tend to get depressed and it can last a couple of days. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to be happy and appreciate all that I have.

In the spirit of appreciation . . . I resolve to BE NICER TO MY HUSBAND.

The German is a great guy. Although we live in Germany, he helps me find the money to visit the U.S. when I am homesick. He puts up with my moods and supports my dreams (even if they are crazy). Seriously, I should be nice to him.

I resolve to KEEP IN TOUCH WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

I have a lot of emails sitting in my in-box. I will get to them this week, I SWEAR! My friends have always been important to me. I actually sent a Christmas card to most of them, although I only got two Christmas cards myself. But this is not about me, but about bringing happiness to others. Don't you get excited when you see a letter or postcard in your mailbox? I love that feeling, that someone has thought about me. I should bring that feeling to others. I think this blog is a pretty good start, but getting actual snail mail is better.

I resolve to GIVE MY ALL TO MY JOB.

Sometimes we just sleepwalk through our day. For many, this may be a result of being unhappy with their job. But, I actually enjoy my job. Teaching (whether English or politics) is fun. It is great to see someone understand. Things are going to be changing career wise for me. I will keep you all up-to-date.

2006 is going to be a big year I think. There are a lot of things the German and I want to do. But through it all, I am going to keep these resolutions in mind . . . and maybe lose a few pounds.

2 comments:

Dukky said...

Those are great resolutions! Quite the inspiration...

Although, it does make me feel a little guilty that I haven't started my Christmas cards yet. Maybe I should resolve to do things in a timely manner....

Claire said...

Thanks, Nutty. I have done well so far but I was not very nice to my husband yesterday. Doing things in a timely manner is also a favorite resolution. Although it only usually lasts a month. I am a really bad procrastinator. My favorite method of procrastination - blogging!