Wednesday, March 08, 2006

down for the count

It finally got me. I woke up this morning and could feel a big blob of stuff in my sinuses and a scratchy throat. Damn. It really was a matter of time before I fell victim to the flu that is going around, but at least it is not the dreaded stomach-intestinal flu that the German had!

Because I am so busy, I CANNOT be sick. So I took some cold medicine and drank tea and now I am sitting here a bit high. Cold medicine has the same effect on me as crack. Well . . . I have not actually taken crack, but this is what I imagine it is like. I really should be working on some things, but the cold medicine high impairs my judgment, so I have just been surfing the internet. I am going to grade final exams and papers next. I have a funny feeling everyone is just going to get a "B."



During my daily peruse through my favorite blogs, I found out about the a Grassroots Blogger Book Marketing Campaign over at kapgar. It sounds really interesting and like a writing challenge. So, I have decided to participate. From Monday, April 10 to Friday, April 14, 2006, I will be blogging as my favorite historical figure. Let's see if you can guess who it is!

Liz, thanks for your comments on my last two blogs! It is hard to respond to comments sometimes because if people post a comment on an old blog I do not know about it. I don't receive notification or read my old posts. I think I need to fix some sort of email notification if someone sends a comment. I definitly want to work on the website some more, but I have met a really nice graphic designer. She is young and also in the process of starting her own business. I think we may pay her to do it for us!

Anyway, Oprah I am definitely not, but I do firmly believe that when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I have not idea what is going to happen with all of this. But I do know that I can not live my life with "what ifs" and in fear of failure. You take what you get and make the best out of it. Plus, I like having too much to do versus nothing to do.

I was thinking of Grandpa's comment about the Academy Awards. The German feels the same way. But, here is what I think. I am a big fan of movies. I love to go to the movies and sit in the dark and escape for a moment to another world.

Life is mundane. Life is tedious. Life is exciting. Life is beautiful. Movie share all of these experiences and more. When you sit in the movies and see something that you relate to, then you don't feel so alone in the world. Sometimes you see something that you can't relate to, and then maybe you learn something. And still other times you just want to escape for 5 minutes your own reality and experience another one. I like what the director of Tsoti (winner of best foreign-language film) said, "Although we speak different languages, your stories are our stories." That is so right on.

I think my fascination with the awards is a reflection of this idea that you can escape your own reality. And I like to see hard work rewarded . . .and I like looking at pretty dresses and handsome men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooohh being sick sucks so I hope you feel better soon!

Don't feel obliged to respond to my comments. It is hard enough to find the time to blog most days nevermind keeping up with everyone's comments. Luckily, I'm able to steal time at work but shhh, don't tell! :-)

You know that is one of the things I like best about you Claire. You have such a can do spirit and it is inspiring. I have found that planning things is an inevitable invitation for disaster so these days I am more inclined to just enjoy the ride.

As for the awards, I am inclined to agree that they are vapid and devoid of any true value. But that is what I love about them. I am a firm believer in balance and honestly I need something to equal out all the negativity of CNN. Plus, I think any fan of politics would enjoy an awards show. The campaigning, the PR friendships, the elite trying to be common folk...why it is just like a national political campaign!

Feel better. And nothing is better for a meds induced buzz like NyQuil!

-E