Friday, March 03, 2006

The Little Things

I am a firm believer that it is the little things in life that make you happy. For example, I am writing this post just before I dash off to teach English for 5 1/2 hours, and while I am typing I am drinking a really good cup of hot chocolate. It is an expensive brand and tastes divine and warms up my stomach before I brave the snow. Did I mention that we have snow again? Do you think Mother Nature forgot that spring starts in 3 weeks?

No, matter. A little thing came in the mail yesterday. I got the t-shirts that I ordered from 80's Tees. I was so happy. I pulled on my Rainbow Brite t-shirt and danced around the apartment. "So, honey, what do you think?" The German just snorted and said, "You don't want to know the answer to that. I will just get into trouble." He was right, so I did not push him. But as I continued to prance around in my finery, the German looked at me and asked, "How old are you exactly?" Um that would be 28 . . . going on 9.

I proudly sported my new t-shirt at the gym this morning. No one even noticed. Not a single comment. I have a question for my German readers: Did they have Rainbow Brite in Germany?

My cheery mood could not even be damaged by the car accident I had on the way home. It's okay, mom, keep breathing, nothing happened. I approached and stopped at an intersection, where I wanted to make a left turn. I looked right and it was clear and I looked left and it was clear. I inched out and was going to go when looked right and I noticed a VERY fast BMW come around the curve. To prevent an accident I braked, and the woman behind me crunched my bumper.

At first I was a little pissed. I crossed the intersection and pulled over. After hopping out of the car I took a look. Nothing. Not even a scratch. The woman who was behind me also pulled over. I say woman, but I think she must have been about 19 and she spoke with a heavy Russian accent. As she got out of her car, I noticed that she was way more upset than I. She was thisclose to tears. "I am so sorry," I said. "I did not see that BMW."

We looked at her car. Nothing. Not even a scratch. I laughed and said, "This must be our lucky day." She gave me a teary hug and I said, "Have a nice one!" and jumped backed into Smarty. I figured, why make a big deal out of nothing.

Now if anything can bring me down to Earth, it is my English lessons. Today we are working on the passive again. Gosh, I hope I understand it myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your predicament, I have a hard time being passive myself.
Is that "Rainbow Brite" better than "the Banana Republic"??

Guess who???

Claire said...

Of course I know who this is!
And Rainbow Brite is TONS better than Banana Republice. (Smile! Wink!)