Monday, March 06, 2006

The Morning After

Is it the morning after if it is the same day? I realized a few hours ago that the Oscars took place on Sunday in LA but early Sunday morning in Cloppenburg, Germany. Time differences can really screw with your head!

This is going to be a short post because I am so exhausted. Last night (GERMAN time) I took a little nap from 11:30 pm to 1:30 am. Then I got up and watched the Oscars until 5:30 am. I was too wound up to go straight back to sleep, so I drifted off around 6:30 am, and then got back up at 8:00 am. That means that I got about 3 1/2 hours of sleep, but not all at once. It is my own fault really. I should learn how to operate my DVD recorder.

Anyway, there are a few preliminary things about the Oscars that I have to comment on.

First, my predictions rocked. I only missed one - best picture. Some people are calling Crash the biggest upset since 1998 (Shakespeare in Love vs. Saving Private Ryan), but if you followed the press before, then you probably were not that surprised.

Second, sometimes the German version is a bit different. For example, we don't get the announcer voice for some reason. But we had this weird, elevator style background music playing as soon as a speech started. It was annoying. I was surfing the internet this afternoon, when I discovered that everyone had this problem. The music may have been an effort to get people to hurry up. If they wanted to shorten the Oscars, they should get rid of all the damn clips. At least they got rid of last year's tradition of having all of the nominees on stage or handing it out in the audience. That was lame.

A few fashion comments:

Dear Charlize Theron: Please fire your stylist. Your dress was terrible and the second time that you have had a bronzer problem. Seriously, step away from the bronzer. You are a beautiful woman. You don't need it.

Salma Hayek is a babe.

George Clooney is funny and charming and talented. Who knew?

Jake, my sweet, I know you want everyone to think of you as a "man," but please shave.

Jaime Foxx, there is only one person on the planet cool enough to pull off a teal shirt at a formal event - Samuel L. Jackson.

Naomi Watts, did King Kong attack the front of your dress?

That is about it for now. I will write some more tomorrow after I have slept and can put together a coherent thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Random Responses:
*The overlay music was beyond annoying. Not sure who thought that one up but boy was it tedious.

*George Clooney may be the most handsome man ever

*Was I the only one who liked Charlize Theron's duds? I thought it was a cool structural dress. Not something I'd wear but still different.

*OMG someone please ban J.Lo from the self tanners!

*I thought Reese & Uma looked the best and that Michelle Williams resembled a cracked out clown.

*Poor John Stewart. He forgot that the Academy is unable to laugh at itself. Chris Rock can feel his pain.

*Crash? Saw that one coming after the Globes but still hoped I'd be wrong. Poor Ang Lee.

*And HELP! I can't get that pimp song out of my head

-E