Saturday, March 18, 2006

Sweetie, why are we watching this?

So, three posts in one day. As you can tell, I am doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING today. When the German and I got up this morning after sleeping in (i.e. 8:00 a.m., when you get up at 6:30 a.m., 8 is actually late) we agreed to make it a "faul" (lazy) day. Although I did get motivated enough to change the sheets on the bed, do a load of laundry and back some muffins.

I am also actually feeling better. It is amazing how sleep and antibiotics destroyed the flu that I have been carrying around for two weeks. When I woke up Friday and my scratchy throat had swollen to the point that I could barely swallow, I decided to get rid of all the herbal medicines and teas and use the health insurance that I pay so much for.

The German has spent the afternoon watching Phoenix, a news channel that also shows documentaries. They have been showing a series on the Russian Army and East Germany. Let's just say that the Russian Army did some bad things. The German's grandmother is from what is now Poland but was then East Prussia. Last weekend, she told us the story of her flight from her home in 1944 when she was 13. It is not a pretty story and amazing to think that she survived it all.

I was a little tired of all the black and white footage. I looked at the German and said, "Sweetie, you do know that Germany lost the war, right?"

He got a little bit upset, and said, "Shut up and let me watch!"

"But your shows are boring!"

The German thought for a moment. "You are the one who has the finals Deutschland Sucht den Superstar (the German version of American Idol) on your calendar!"

"Yes, but honey, it is current events."

He snorted and laughed so hard that coffee came out of his nose.

No comments: