Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The bigger they are, the harder they fall

You did not think that Delay would resign and that I would have nothing to say, did you?

I will not resort to name calling. It does no good to call the man the son of Satan. A) There are people a lot worse. 2) It does not make my argument better.

However, I will say that I am not surprised. One of the reasons that he is retiring is because he "is afraid that his re-election could get ugly." Am I the only person surprised by THAT? The man's nickname is the "Hammer." He has never backed down from a fight in his life. I can only imagine that his real fear is that he is going to get caught . . . and won't be able to get out of something.

I wrote my dissertation about campaign and party finance. It is the one thing in this world that I know a little something about. I know that Delay invented ways around campaign finance rules. He is a master of PACs and soft money. In fact, he is so good at it, that he wants to spend his "retirement" on organizations and helping politics get closer to religion. The organizations part does not surprise me. I told you that he is a master at manipulation and fundraising. As far as the church and state thing . . . well, ol' Tom would never let something like the constitution get in his way.

USAToday says: "He said the voters of his Houston-area district "deserve a campaign about the vital national issues that they care most about ... and not a campaign focused solely as a referendum on me."

Damn, Tom. I thought that was what elections are. Do I want to keep you in office or do I want to go with the other guy?

I am sure that we have not heard the last from dear ol' Tom. But here is hoping that he shuts up for awhile.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping that a crooked politician would shut up in like hoping that night will not come. And hoping that other politicians will be honest is the same. It would really be refreshing to have any politician look out for the American average citizen for a change.

Guess who this is. I'll only give you one hint. Cheese!

EuroTrippen said...

Bottom line is he became too much of a liability to his party... and my guess is he went down kicking and screaming.

Now if we could only boot Cheney & Rove out on their asses... sigh.

Dixie said...

Could there possibly be a bigger load in the world than Tom DeLay?

Belinda said...

Yes, Dixie, there could. Hush your mouth before you tempt fate!

And my money is on him NOT shutting up, not ever...but my hope is that people will stop listening. Please? Is that too much to ask? And while they're at it, could they stop listening to Pat Robertson, as well? And Karl Rove? Who may very well BE a minion of the devil?

Dixie said...

A minion? I was pretty well convinced that Karl Rove is Satan himself.

I want to sneak up behind him, call out "Lucifer" and see if he turns around.

Lisa said...

Um. Excuse me, but... who are these people of which you speak? I'm feeling extremely out of teh loop. Maybe I can get google to be my friend...

Mike B said...

A Republican governor will appoint a Republican to the seat, thus ensuring that any democratic challenger will be running against an incumbent who is not Tom Delay.

Meanwhile Tom gets to write the book that will pay his legal defense fees.

The worst thing I will say about Tom is that he is not Newt Gingrich.

By the way, have you noticed that Newt is not doing so poorly in the past ten years. I think the new breed of Republicans like Newt are in it for the money, which is why they don't mind leaving office in a bit of disgrace, while the old Democrats like Kennedy are in it for the ego trip and power, which is why they cling to office for 40+ years. Tell me which is worse.