Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Learning About Discretion the Hard Way (LB: Part II)

I wish that I could say that I did not have sexual relations with that woman, but I did. It is, I think, the biggest regret of my life (to date). I deeply lament the pain that I have caused Betsy. When she found out, she slapped me across the face.

“How could you!?”

“Baby, I am so sorry. She meant nothing to me!”

“No you idiot! How could you get caught!? Your place in history will now forever be linked to that harlot. Don’t you ever think about your legacy!?”

She is such a wonderful wife. She stood by me through the entire scandal. It is a good thing that she is a woman; otherwise she might become a senator and not me!

Resigning my post is painful because I truly believe that I am helping. There is so much work to do! If only I could stay . . .

My biggest triumph . . . there are so many . . . I have to say that my handling of the public debt was best. Although Tom is my most formidable competition, I am grateful for his invitation to dinner with Jim. That night we saved my program and our little experiment! Of course, the ideas were all mine.

I hope my successor realizes the importance of managing the debt. Yes, credit is necessary at war time. But paying your debts is the price of Liberty. If we do not honor our debts then we will lose face with our creditors and in the world. It will make getting credit even more difficult later, when we really need it. Some people never learn the lessons of history. Seriously, who would be dumb enough to carry such a high public debt!

The debt was certainly important, but on the other hand, I ALSO brought together a formidable group of individuals to form a “party.” I could tell that my supporters and I were not going to be able to pass our proposals individually. No, we would have to work together as a group. The word faction has such a terrible connotation. What should we call ourselves? One night when were all relaxing after dinner and enjoying our port, John said, “Let’s call ourselves a ‘party’!” Intriguing. No one ever had anything against a party. It could be an idea that catches on.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Remember, this is not "Claire." It is part of the Lost Blog that she found in her office. Now go visit the rest of the Lost Bloggers and read how you do it right! Don't forget to check out Paul's Book!

9 comments:

Just another American Expat said...

"No one ever had anything against a party. It could be an idea that catches on."

No-one except George Washington.

John Adams helped create the party system in the U.S. Alexander Hamilton had a fling with Maria Reynolds. Hamilton’s wife was named Elizabeth…hence Betsy.

You are Alexander Hamilton, the first Treasurer of the United States of America.

Rabbit said...

My guess was the same as your expat friend up there, but with a lot less fact recall backing it up. I can't wait to read the next two posts to see if I was right!

EuroTrippen said...

I was going to guess Fred from Sanford & Son (whose wife, by the way, was also named Elizabeth), but ' Just another American Expat' is probably right... lol

Mike B said...

yep, sounds a lot like like Alexander Hamilton, although the clinton links are an interesting touch, as one rarely thinks of one in the presence of the other.

H.F. Peterman said...

So it isnt Sam Adams...the brewer?

Claire said...

Yes, the links are part of the "joke" in this post; especially about someone carrying a large public debt!

Karl said...

Very well written. The Clintonesque references are a nice touch.

Mikey said...

Ok i'll jump on the band wagon with the rest Hamilton. Are you going to write about watches and Lancaster Pa, next? BTW Eurotrippin
I love that comment! TOOO funny.

Jules said...

wow...i think i need to re-take American History. Be right back.