Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Wildeshausen

On Good Friday the German and I took the in-laws to Wildeshausen, the town where we would like to build a house. We got information on two possible lots.

The first one, as you can see, is located in a neighborhood that is basically finished. The plus side of this lot: it is fairly cheap. The down side: the houses are practically on top of each other. We would basically have to drive through the neighbor's front yard to get to our house.


The second one is . . . well, right now it is a field. The city is developing this land and they think that we could get a lot and start building in the beginning of September. This lot is a little more expensive. However, the lots are larger. Also, we could get a lot that boarders a small forest, which means now neighbors in the back. The down side: we can count on continuous building in the neighborhood for several years.



Wildeshausen is a really nice town. I would not call it a city. It is also pretty old. Below is the local church. Yes, just about every town in Germany has a church like this. This one comes from the middle ages. Man, and I thought I was getting old. As an American, I find it mind blowing that I could live near something with such a long history. The church is near the river Hunte. Across the street from the church is an old police station that now has a beer garden. Although I am not a big fan of beer, I am a lover of beer gardens. Yes, this may be the town for us.

11 comments:

Karl said...

Hi Claire,

I just noticed your blog the other day on Duncan's site. I'm down near Essen/Oldb. I did a double take when I saw that you live in Cloppenburg. Most Americans are south of the Weißwurstäquator. And it looks like you guys are headed further north. Do you speak platt already? :-)

Haddock said...

In our new housing area after just over 4 years nearly all houses have been built. It does get a bit weary living in a vast building plot, but its all worth it in the end.
As you are in North Germany will you be building a red/brown brick house? - We built one in Hessen and its not the norm here :)

Dixie said...

I love the idea of a larger lot. I think it would be well worth the extra expense and dealing with the development of the area for a few years.

matt said...

Definitely go with the bigger lot you won't regret it. I bought the model home in the subdivision I'm in now and had to work a night shift with construction going on for like 4 yrs blahh. But 12 yrs later its nice and quiet here. And most of the kids that started out with us (the neighborhood) have grown up and gone to school work etc. so its really quiet. lol

Expat Traveler said...

Yeah I think I'd do the larger lot. construction can be a nag but the gamble in the end is probably worth it. I'm guessing it's sort of like most areas in Europe where you usually just buy one house...

EuroTrippen said...

I'm going to buck the trend here and point out that a larger lot means more upkeep. Mowing (yuck), raking (belch), weeding (kill me now)...

Unless you're into spending half your weekend outside in the dirt, I say go with a townhouse in the city. Oh wait, that wasn't one of my options, was it?

stringbean said...

Yeah, go with the bigger lot!

BTW, I loved the pictures of the sheep and of you bewildered, looking at the sheep. Hahaha!

Mikey said...

Wow, what a church!!

suz said...

I just found your blog today and wanted to say that you are a really good and danged funny writer and a lot of it just cracked me up. I'm also married to a Germ and I live in Bavaria. One suggestion....buy a dryer and German's comments about it be damned!

Lisa said...

I'd go with the bigger lot. Definitely. I think you'll be happier in the long run. The forest would also be a big plus in my book, provided it stays. Everywhere you live in Germany there's going to be regular building going on, so enduring this noise is a given. They dig up streets, replace, pave, tear stuff up or push stuff over. Why do you think "Bob the Baumeister" is so popular here? Also, if history blows your mind you're officially invited to visit Aachen. It began sometime around 800 AD. The "old" just oozes out of some of the buildings here. Who would've thought "old" had its own smell?

christina said...

Yep, go for a bigger lot and one with as much privacy as possible so the neighbours don't go getting in your face.

The church in our town was built in 1200 A.D. and is about the only redeeming feature around here. It's just gorgeous.