Sunday, May 28, 2006

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I never did like breaking up with people. You see, I have a problem with rejection. I do not like to be rejected. Who does, right? It makes me feel small, unimportant and unwanted. Yuck. Rejection is bad. I do not like to reject others because I know how it feels (I take the "do unto others" thing VERY seriously!). As a result, I often get stuck in relationships with men, women, long distance providers and can never get out of them.

In fact, before the German, the majority of my relationships ended with either a mutual acknowledgement that the relationship was over or I was dumped (which is why I don't like rejection!). Wait . . . is it strange that I would rather be rejected than reject others . . .?

Anyway, I am now really in agony because I have to break up with someone . . . my realtor. He is a great guy but . . . well it is not just not working.

I think Realtor Guy knows that it is not working. He keeps calling and no one picks up the phone. The German and I look at the phone, "You pick it up! No you!" When I finally broke down, answered the phone and spoke with him last week, he made an off-handed comment, "I thought you were angry with me!" Then, he made that nervous laugh we all make when we are afraid that we have spoken the truth.

Realtor Guy, you are really nice and funny. You build beautiful kitchens, and I would love to keep this relationship going, but I just can't. It's not you, its me. We are in very different places right now. You are in a place where you want me to spend a lot of money and I am in place where I have no money. Do you see the problem?

7 comments:

The German said...

Dear Mr Realtor
Can we still be friends?...It´s my fault...... :-) Sh.. she is sooooooo right

DaveO said...

You can give him the old "It's not you. It's us." routine....

christina said...

Or just tell him you need more space and would like to persue other realtor relationships just to make sure of your feelings. :-)

Can't you just send the guy a "Dear Johannes" letter and tell him you won't be needing his services any longer? If he thinks you're mad at him he seems to be confusing a professional relationship with a personal one.

Mike B said...

And of course you would still like to be friends ... just friends.

EuroTrippen said...

I say change your number and move. (I've never been good at ending things either...)

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
Is a realtor and estate agent? Or a kitch supplier? I am confused but then I guess so is he....after all as far as he is aware everything was going really well!! ha ha
Aoife

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're just not that into him.....
Cheers
B