Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Little Zen for the Weekend

I am about to leave for a girls night in Darmstadt. The German was not exactly thrilled that I will be gone for a second straight weekend, but considering I don't have many girlfriends around here (drinking cosmos with the pigs, not as much fun as it sounds), he relented.

I rode the fence all week about whether or not I should go. Yesterday, I finally decided what the hell. I went to the train station to get a ticket. The man at the counter looked me in the eye. "140 Euro." I knew that it would not be cheap, but really! After I commented on how expensive it was, he scolded me!! "Well, if you had booked in advance, it would have been cheaper." "What is 'in advance?'" "At least 3 days."

I left without making a purchase. I decided to drive. 5 hours. Ha! I laugh in the face of 5 hours in a car. I remember packing up all of my belongingd in my Toyota Carolla (it was so full I could not see out the back) and driving 13 hours from South Bend, IN to Charleston, SC . . . with the stomach flu! I called the German. "No! Driving around Frankfurt is like driving around LA." "Sweetie, you have never been to LA." "You know what I mean. I don't think Smartie can take it, and I want you back in one piece, get the train ticket." I would like to take a moment to mention that never has a man been so concerned about my welfare. When I look in his big blue eyes, I know that he is totally serious and worried. I love the German!

So, I went back to the train station. I smiled at the guy. "I'm back!" As he was preparing the tickets, he suggested that I buy a Bahn Card. I would immediately get a discount and I can use it for my weekly commute to Oldenburg. The price was less than 140 and I will save money all through June and July. Dude, why did you not tell me this in the first place?! When I mentioned that this a spontaneous to trip to visit friends, he laughed. Finally! Proof that Germans are not spontaneous and everything must be planned.

Before I leave you, I would like to mention that I actually check my site meter now and again. I discovered that there is a person who Googled "Claire is an idiot" and landed on my blog. Man, how many idiot Claires are there in the world??

6 comments:

J said...

Have a great time at Girlie Weekend!

Dixie said...

I am so, so envious that you're at Girlie Weekend! I hope you're having a fabulous time!

Haddock said...

Have fun time at the Girlie weekend. The train has to be easier and safer than driving :)

Mike B said...

If it is any consolation, someone landed on my site with ...

"the Auslander problem"

Expat Traveler said...

Answer: probably ones that live in the US and are about 12 years old!!!

Yes tickets are pricey. I always had my swiss half price card, but I was always wishing I was 25 and under because prices are like half the price. Well I hope you had a great time!

Mikey said...

I need to learn how to use my site meter like that. LOLOL Have fun love.