Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Longest Day

The Perfect Day on Saturday was followed by the longest day, today. Because I was pretty much a slacker on Sunday and was running errands for the company and at meetings on Monday (yesterday), I did not get much lesson planning done yesterday. As result I was up until 1:00am this morning and finally managed to get to sleep around 2:15am. Unfortunately my alarm clock went off at 5:15am. After that, I pretty much hit the ground running.

6:35am: Leave the House
6:56am: Train to Oldenburg
8:00am to 10:00am: Politics Lecture
10:00am to 11:00am: Office Hours (where did all the students come from!?)
11:00am to 12:00pm: English Lesson / Help
12:29pm: Train back to Cloppenburg
1:05pm: Arrive in Cloppenburg and drive to Emstek
2:00pm to 6:00pm: English Lessons (I actually got a 30 minute break in between lessons. Yipee)
6:15pm to 7:45pm: English Lesson in Cloppenburg
8:00pm: FINALLY return home

The thing is, I am glad that it is a non-stop day. If I actually stopped, then I would collapse and realize how tired I am. I am not complaining mind you, as I realize that the entire situation was of my own making. Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Should have thought of that on Sunday.

Then it dawned on me that I have to pack because . . . Tomorrow I am going to Poland!!

About two months ago I got an email from a good friend who lives in Dublin. She told me about a group of friends who were meeting in Krakow for a week, and asked if would I like to join them. I talked to the German. Although the German has to work (teachers get a lot of vacation but cannot choose when they take it), he knows that I often miss my friends. Without blinking, he told me to go. Reason 180 that I love the German.

I will be meeting my wonderful friends, Eimear, Brendan, Aoife and Chad. Eimaer and Brendan (who are married) and Aoife are from Dublin. I met Eimaer and Aoife during my first adventure in Germany, in 1997 when I spent my junior in college as an exchange student in Kassel. Chad is from Green Bay, but is currently doing a stint in the Peace Corps as an English teacher in Ukraine (and you thought your job was hard!). Chad does not have a lot of money for travel, so Eimaer and Aoife decided to meet him in Poland.

I consider these people some of my best friends. The funny thing is, I only seem them every few years and exchange emails only every few months. But when ever we are together, it is like no time has passed. Eimear and Brendan were at my wedding and Chad was an usher. I am so excited to see them again. I am sorry that the German cannot come.

This will be my first trip to Poland. I have heard that Krakow is beautiful. I am armed with my camera and a travel book. I will only be gone four days and three nights, but I hope to make the most of it.

My biggest problem is learning to relax (hence the significance of my perfect day). I wanted to do some lesson planning tonight and was going to take some reading for my politics class to do on the plane. But then I thought . . . Screw it.

So, you are on your own until Sunday. If you are looking to procrastinate (and really, who isn't) check out some of my links. There is much good reading.

3 comments:

Dixie said...

Very cool indeed! I've heard Krakow is great - like Prague in Poland.

Can't wait for the pictures. Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey Claire, I was very excited when I logged in earlier and saw that you were going to write about Poland today-just had to check in and see. Those are such nice things you said about us-and yes we are awful for keeping in touch esp Aoife-and I am going to call her so she can read what nice things you've said. It's 11pm and I am only starting to pack-we fly at 7.50am and Aoife and I are here having our glass of vino. Aoife is watching Desperate Housewives, because she did all her packing before I picked her up at 7.30pm. Brendan has done his usual 5 minute pack and is ready to go. Chad is already on his way to meet us.
Can't believe we'll all be unwinding with a glass of wine in Krakow this time tomorrow-hope you got that new pair of dancing shoes.
Have a safe trip-see you tomorrow night. Love to the German!
XX Eimear

Mikey said...

Have fun in Krakow!!