Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Perfect Day

Yesterday I had what can only be described as the perfect day. Because I am going to Poland on Wednesday (more on that tomorrow), I only have 8 hours of English lessons and 2 hours of Politics this week, all on Tuesday. I decided to take Saturday off and just work on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. It was a good decision.

First, the German and I woke up around 8:00am. Although we intended on sleeping-in, we suffer from the side affects of always getting up at 6:00am during the week. We had a leisurely breakfast and then I caught up on my soap, Gute Zeiten Schlechte Zeiten. After getting dressed we went grocery shopping and the German repaired his bike while I puttered around the house and did some blogging.

The weather was beautiful yesterday. It was 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) and sunny. We decided to pull out the bikes and take our first bike trip of the season.

Our favorite "Kurzstrecke" (short trip) is to the town of Molbergen, which is 8 km (a little less than 5 miles) away. We ride on the back roads and past the fields and farms. We love to take this path throughout the season so that we can see how fast the corn and wheat grow. I decided to take pictures of the fields. There are no words for their lush greenness. The combination of the blue sky and green field always fills my heart with a warmth that is difficult to describe. That is significant, as I don't consider myself a "nature person." In general I hate hiking and I DON'T camp. But the green fields around here seem to get to me.

Unfortunately, I don't always pay attention to what I am doing, and as I waded into the grass to take a picture, the German said, "Be careful! There is Brennnessel (nettles) in there and it can sting." "Oh, honey, don't worry! It cannot be that bad." But he was right. After stepping back onto the street my foot felt like it was on fire. This is the German with his "I told you so" look.



When we get to Molbergen, we always stop for ice cream at our favorite ice cream place. This place is run by an Italian family and has the best ice cream around. I had three scoops of tiramisu ice cream. Yummy!



We got back on our bikes and peddled in the direction of Varrelbusch . On the left we saw a sign for "Gut Stedingsmuehlen." This house was built in 1509 but underwent significant renovations last year. Now the outside looks like a farm house, but the inside has sleek white tables and chairs. It is an interesting combination of the modern and the traditional. Although we had just had ice cream 15 minutes earlier, we stopped and got the coffee and homemade cake for 4.50 Euro.

The house is surrounded by a moat and there is a small pond on one side. The German and I sat in the Beer Garden and had our coffee. The pond was beautiful. The sunlight was warm on my face. The coffee was heavenly and their was Frank Sinatra playing softly in the background. I looked over at the German, and I realized that I was having a "perfect moment." A perfect moment is one of those rare times when there is absolutely nothing that you would change, and you could happily die right then and there.



After coffee, we took a walk around the pond and then climbed back onto our bikes. I highly recommend the "Gut Stedingsmuehlen." We are going back in two weeks for dinner with my in-laws, and I want to take mom and dad-squared there when they visit in August.

Because we felt a little guilty about the ice cream and cake, we biked another 9 kilometers (about 5.5 miles). We got home around 6:30pm. The German turned on the TV to catch up on the day's soccer games and we both had a Mai Bock beer. "Mai Bock" is a special beer only available in the month of May. I don't normally drink beer, but this stuff is pretty tasty. The German's day was made even better when Werder Bremen won 6 to 0. Unfortunately Hamburg lost, which made FC Bayern Munich the soccer champions this year. We do not care for Bavaria Munich too much. There are like the Yankees of the German national soccer league. If you are from there you love them with a irrational passion, but everyone else in the country loathes them.

After a few more beers and a semi-interesting movie, we went to bed.

What made my day so perfect? It was slow. I did not work. I was with someone I loved and enjoyed everything that life has to offer. Really, it is something that I should do more often.

I have a lot more pictures of Molbergen and Gut Stedingsmuehlen posted on my flickr account. You should take a look.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie!

I've been so bad in commenting but I read everything so here are a few drive by comments:

*The airplane ride looked amazing. I've always wanted to get my piloting license. What a cool gig to fly people around all day!

*The pictures of Maggie were hysterical. I can just see you going all stealth trying to nab the perfect picture. Subversion at the supermarket. You can't beat that!

*That's wonderful that your parents have a chance to visit you in Germany. I'm sure they'll love it as much as you do.

*Wow that really was the perfect day. I just can't get over how beautiful everything is. It's like someone brought to life a postcard. And bike riding in the Spring? Well, that just can't be beat....unless you throw in a picnic I suppose. And off to Poland are you? I've always meant to go since I have a few friends there so you'll have to post the low down.

Oh and just as an aside, you link the BEST blogs to read!

:-) E

Lisa said...

Claire-dude, have you heard of the nettle-spit remedy? Have you tried it? It's gross and it works in a pinch. I don't want to know why.

J said...

Woo hoo! More cyclists!

Sounds like a wonderful day. Here's hoping you have many more of them.

Haddock said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day. The greens of the fields and trees at this time of the year are really intense. Its my favourite time of the year.

Yes, the Haddock family hate Bayern Munich with a ferocity!

Mein herz schläght grün-weiss! :)

Dixie said...

Those sorts of days are what you remember your whole life. I'm glad it was so great.

And there are plenty of people outside of Munich who love Bayern-Munich. B and I are two of them. The only thing that could have made yesterday better is if my boyfriend, Claudio Pizarro, had made Bayern's goal.

I'll refrain from saying anything bad about Bremen. I have nothing but honor for people who have a passion for their favorite team...unless that team happens to be Dortmund. ;)

Mikey said...

Wow love the pics!!

EuroTrippen said...

*note to self* avoid Brennnessel (with 3 n's)

Mike B said...

Hooray for you! That is some nice scenery ... glad you got to enjoy it. And any day with an ice cream is a good day!