Friday, June 23, 2006

And then came the migraine

The human body can only take so much. Be good to your body, otherwise one day it will let you know when you have gone to far. Mine let me know yesterday that it was time to slow down.

About 12:00, in the middle of my training seminar, I began to notice that I was getting a headache. Normally, I take an Excedrin Migraine tablet at this point to prevent things from getting worse. Unfortunately my "stash" ran out several months ago (NOTE TO MOM: please bring me some in August.) When I drove home at 3:00pm, a full-blown Migraine had come on. After getting home and getting sick, I laid down for a couple of hours. I had to get up at 6:00pm however and go teach. I started a new group and did not want to cancel the first lesson. For the first hour I was okay, but I cut the lesson short 15 minutes because I realized that my body had reached an end. The group was really good about the whole thing. I was also a little disappointed, as they are a pretty fun group and I think I will enjoy teaching them.

I had to go by the New Yorker's house to drop some things off and as I was standing outside, I thought I might feel better. But after I got home, I walked in the apartment and the smell of the food that the German had lovingly cooked knocked me to my knees. I ran for the bathroom and then laid in bed moaning.

That is when "Super German" appeared. He brought me a cool wash cloth for my head and went to the after hours pharmacy for some medicine. 12 Euro for 2 tablets!! Well, they were worth every penny. After 2 hours I actually began to feel human and could go to sleep. I now call them my "little blue friends." Super German then cleaned up the kitchen and made a cake for my party today. Best . . . Husband . . . Ever!

I feel better today, but kind of like I have a hang over. Note to self, be kind to your body. That glass of wine and bag of chips is not an appropriate dinner.

Good things should happen today. The New Yorker and I are celebrating our official opening (which is why the German made the cake). The mayor may make an appearance and the local newspaper is covering the festivities. It will be the talk of C-burg. I will have the camera, and will post pics this weekend. If you email me, I will send you the link to our new, improved website. No, I did not do it. We paid a professional.

A note about the cake . . . I special ordered Betty Crocker yellow cake and chocolate frosting. I think it is totally yummy and American, but I am sure the German reaction may be a bit different.

Tomorrow is Saturday. I have planned a day of rest, full of "extreme couching." I may add some "extreme blogging" to the list. Bis dann!

5 comments:

Heather said...

as a migraine sufferer...I can sympathize. Once they get going...no relief.

Hope you feel better today...congrats about the opening!

Ann said...

Can totally relate with the migraines.. Have you ever tried Zomig? Works wonders. I started using it in the States, is available in Italy, so am thinking that probably is also available in Germany. Then again, those two tablets that were 12 euros where probably it, pretty spendy stuff, but does the trick.
Ann
http://www.blogcharm.com/amborg

Dixie said...

Bless your heart - that headache must have been a monster! Glad you got some relief.

*sigh* I miss American cakes. I should make them more often.

christina said...

You poor thing! Migraines are NO fun. Did the German bring you Dolormin Migräne? That always works really well for me. I'm going to be stocking up on the Advil migraine stuff when we go back because it's so much cheaper.

And congratulations on the grand opening!! You are such a little business woman. Can't wait to see the pics.

Anonymous said...

You could try Neuralgin as a replacement for Excedrin Migraine.

Excedrin Migraine has 250mg acetaminophen, 250mg aspirin and 65mg caffeine. Neuralgin is 250mg aspirin, 200mg acetaminophen and 50mg caffeine, so it is basically the same. Acetaminophen is "paracetamol" in German.

20 tablets are EUR 3.35 at Docmorris.com, probably around 4 Euros in pharmacies.