Friday, June 30, 2006

Never Give Up

You should never give up. Keep going. Even when you feel like quitting and think you cannot run another step. The game is not over. It is not over until you finish it. Never give up.

The German National team did not give up today . They kept going, even though many of their fans were about to give up. I was watching the game with some friends. After Argentina scored their goal, the Germans shout, "I knew it! It is over!" This negative, the world-is-going-to-end mentality is "typisch German." But not for the players . . . not on this day.

The stadium got eerily quite after the Germans fell behind. I wish I could have been there. I would have brought a little ND spirit.

Now the streets of Cloppenburg are full. I had to drive home. No one obeyed the street signs. VW buses full of 20 year old freak fans with flags flying in the wind drove through the streets. There were station wagons with families; fathers sharing this once in a life time moment with their children. I honked my horn and waved at perfect strangers. Strangers were hugging and kissing. It was beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Davai Deutschland-we knew they could do it. Just don't lose to England in the final!!
E & B

Dixie said...

I love the atmosphere around here after a victory. Love to see the folks coming home from the public viewing area all happy and full of life.

It's the same feeling little kids have about Christmas.

christina said...

Wasn't it awesome? Let's hope this good mood lasts for a while.

Haddock said...

The semi final should be a cracker. Germany v Italy. :)