Sunday, July 02, 2006

Heading to Hamburg

I am leaving C-burg today and heading to Hamburg. I will be attending a training seminar in Hamburg for the next four weeks. At the end of the seminar, I will receive my CELTA certificate (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). I have been teaching English for 20 months now, but never received any formal training.

The certificate course is very "intense," and involves 8 hours of training everyday, including one hour of teaching a day. When I applied for the course, I was asked several times if I could handle the "pressure." As anyone who reads this blog regularly knows, pressure is not a problem for me. All in all, I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn something new and to break any bad teaching habits I may have developed.

Also, I have put everything else pretty much on hold for the next month. No university, no teaching in C-burg, no new business contacts. It is almost a relief that for an entire month, I will only have to concentrate on one thing.

I am not sure what the blogging situation is going to be like over the next few weeks. I am renting a room, but I am not sure if I will have internet access. There are computers at the training center, but "lesson planning has priority." Isn't that always the way? I will scope out the situation and keep you up-to-date.

I have been to Hamburg a few times, but never spent that much time there. Any sight seeing tips? Better yet, any tips on where I can find a good hamburger and / or Mexican food? I am also looking for a good manicure place.

Seen around C-burg: My business's opening party was in Saturday's Muensterlaendische Tageszeitung. Unfortunately, the small article is not available on-line. But trust me, the New Yorker and I look great.

4 comments:

christina said...

Excellent! I'm sure you'll enjoy the course and won't find the pressure all that bad after what you've been through lately with your business opening and all. I did my TESL certificate in the late 80's (yes, I'm old) and found it so interesting.

Anonymous said...

See the Rathaus, stroll through Planten und Blumen and around the Alster. Botanic garden at Klein Flottbeck is nice but needs several hours to do it justice. Any view of the Elbe from Landungsbruecken to Blankenese.

Reasonable Mexican in Gross Neumarkt (and many other restaurants)

Enjoy the course and your visit to HH

Expat Traveler said...

good luck. I was asked the same with when I was doing TEFL. Thought it was a basic piece of cake.

PapaScott said...

We always take visitors to the old Elbtunnel at the Landungsbr├╝cken. The hundred-year-old elevators for the cars are fascinating. It's free, and is cool on hot days, and dry when it rains.

It's corny, but I still love taking boat trips through the harbor. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, thousands of miles from any ocean. Watching the tourists is as much fun as what's going on at the harbor.

The model train exhibit Miniatur Wunderland is also worth seeing, and not just for little boys.