Sunday, October 15, 2006

Somewhere, hell is freezing over

Today I am writing words that I thought would never come out of my mouth.

The Detroit Tigers are going to the World Series.

When my Mo' Town Uncle was here in August, he told me that he was going to take the weekend of the World Series off. You know, just in case.

I laughed at him. I told him, "You know, Al Kaline left the building a long time ago my friend."

"Yes, but you never know," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

My Mo' Town Uncle has been a Tigers fan since he was a kid. When I visit my Michigan relatives, he always takes me by the corner of Michigan and Trumbull and tells me stories about the games he saw there. Mo' Town taught me what it was like to be a true sports fan. To support your team through thick and thin. And trust me, the Tigers have been through many a thin year. He also taught me other important things like the offsides rule in football and that the Yankees are evil.

He took me to Comerica Park a few years ago. Then, the stadium was half empty and the Tigers put the faith of even the most die hard fans to the test. Dude, they lost 119 games just three years ago. Man, was a difference a season can make.

It turns out that my Mo' Town Uncle was right. You never know. And he is the one laughing now.

Go Tigers! I will be cheering all the way from C-burg.

2 comments:

The Big Finn said...

My Hell froze over last year when the White Sox won it all. I STILL can't believe it! It was all very surreal since I watched the games live at 8:00 a.m. in our hotel room in Bangkok.
I kept expecting the Tigers to fade...but they didn't. Now, I'm hoping that they win it all!

Mike B said...

Pardon the dumb question, but they were there in 1984 ... when was the last time the poor cubbies made it? ;) Anyway, go Tigers.