Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A New Outlook

Today I gained a whole new outlook on life. I got my new glasses. What do you think?

Old:



New:
This is a very different look for me. For the past few years I have always worn framless or very light colored glasses. My philosophy has been that glasses should melt into your face so that you cannot see them. It is part of my fear of drawing attention to myself (kind of weird that I bog, huh?). Anyway, my glasses have been always been boring.

I finally decided that if I am going to wear glasses, I am going to WEAR glasses. The lady at the shop tried to talk me into some purple stripped ones. I had just come from an English lesson and was wearing a plain fitted, blue blouse, denim skirt, black hose and black loafers. I thought I looked nice, classic (okay and maybe a bit boring), but it frightens me that this German thought, "Yes, purple stripped glasses would definitely complete that outfit." But that is the thing about Germans. They definitely WEAR glasses. Unfortunately that leads to very bad things, like polka-dots or triangles.

I decided that this pair was "classic" but not boring. However, now I feel REALLY self-conscious. So far though the feedback has been good. Although the guy in the office across the hall said that they make me like a teacher . . . Is that a compliment or an insult?


15 comments:

J said...

Funnily enough, a (male) colleague of mine has also just made the switch from frameless glasses to black framed one quite similar to yours. They're definitely noticeable on him and will be on you too - and I don't mean in a bad way.

Mike B said...

I used to be of the Dorothy Parker school ... men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses ... but Claire, you've got that sexy librarian thing going on with the new frames ;)

christina said...

You look marvelous!! I love those frames. I switched from non-descript frames to ones that make a statement several years ago and although they DID take some getting used to, I'd never go back.

J said...

LOL Christina - the only statement my glasses say is 'You're incredibly cheap'.

Dixie said...

I like them. I'm still wearing non-descript glasses but after having worn contact lenses exclusively for over twenty years I had to ease into glasses wearing again once I had to get bifocals. Maybe my next pair will have me branching out.

Karl said...

Looks good. Eyewear as a fashion accessory instead of a mere reading utensil.

Anonymous said...

I LIKE them -- and I'm generally the no-rim type too! I wonder if I should be so bold...?!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Claire, I think they look fab and they bring out your eye colour and shape (one of your best features). Go for it, you have made so many dramatic life changes recently I think that it is time to also change the specs.
Love
Aoife

Haddock said...

I think they look good! :)

megan said...

The new ones make your eyes really pop. I'm usually a fan of the 'invisible glases' look, my husband wears them, but these new frames really work for you.

Anonymous said...

I really dig the glasses. Mine are almost identical except the color is a dark brown. And when you are so fabulous, you SHOULD bring attention to yourself! You look great!

Carrie said...

Looking like a teacher isn't an insult coming from a man b/c they have all had that same teacher fantasy...you know the one with the school boy having to stay after because he was bad...etc, etc, etc. When I was single, it was one of my best pick up lines in the bar. Haha!

EuroTrippen said...

I think glasses make everyone look better. I liked the before and the after are great, too.

Expat Traveler said...

I love em! It's a good change for sure... Change can be good.. :)

amy said...

L O V E the new glasses. They look great!