Thursday, December 21, 2006

Making Me Oh So Proud

Last Saturday the German and I went to his soccer team's annual Christmas party. This year the team met at the Christmas Market and then went to a restaurant for dinner. As I had gotten tipsy at my company's Christmas party the night before, we decided that the German could drink and I would drive.

Everything was going well until about 11:00pm. The coach of the team gave little speech and then said, "Every year we like to honor our newest members by having them preform a little task." Uh oh. The German was the only new member at the dinner.

"German, you have 30 minutes to find yourself a festive Christmas costume and then come back and sing a Christmas song for us. You cannot buy anything, but you must find it."

I looked more panicky than the German. Of coarse, I was the only sober person in the room. "Seriously guys, you don't want him to sing. Animals cover their ears when he starts up." But my protests fell on deaf ears. The German was actually happy, and a bit intoxicated. He jumped up ready for the task. The Goal Keeper stood up and announced that he would help the German.

One hour later I began to worry that the Goal Keeper had stolen my husband. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. In walked my husband wearing a soccer jersey, a blue Santa hat (about 2 sizes too small) and he a garland with lights draped around his neck. Sadly, the pictures did not come out. He looked utterly ridiculous, but also very happy.

He then proceed to sing a song that he had just written in his deep, but off-key, voice. The team thought is was fantastic. There were cheers and whistles. Although I fell in love with him a bit more that night, I made him promise never to sing in public again.

1 comment:

Haddock said...

Sounds like a good football club and a great night out! :)