Monday, December 18, 2006

The Same Procedure as Every Year

I consider myself a fairly intelligent woman. I am capable and learn fast. However, I cannot for the life of me send a Christmas card out on time. You know that saying, the road to hell was paved with good intentions? Well, this time of year, I think it should be, the road to the post office was was paved with inept Christmas card senders. By the looks of the post office this morning, I am apparently not the only person who never learns.

One week ago I woke up and realized that Christmas was two weeks away. I did a mental note of the gifts I had bought and the cards I had written. Hmm, that would be zero. In the past week, I have finished my shopping for the German, my parents and parents-squared, my sister and her children. I have even gotten something for my mother-in-law. Unfortunately, buying is but the first step for the ex-pat shopper.

This morning I stood in line to send out my 30 Christmas cards. People are grumpy when standing in line at the post office. And the guy behind me smelled a little bit. The postal employee was actually quite nice, but smirked and said, "You know if you send them the first week in December, you can beat the rush!" Gee, thanks for the tip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you get older, some things have to fall by the wayside. With me the first to go was Christmas shopping. This year it is Christmas cards. For the last few years I have been printing my own individuallized cards. But that has gone. SO--

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
to both you and "The German" and all your in-laws, too!!!


Love, Grandpa

Mike B said...

Yeah, I thought it was just me. But I broke down and got myself Stamp-it, Deutsche Post's do it yourself home postage meter software, so I don't have to stand on line at the Post Office.

christina said...

Heh. If I'm lucky (meaning if I get my cards written this evening) I'll be standing in said post office line-up tomorrow morning. Last year I sent out my cards AFTER Christmas so I'm way ahead of myself this time. :-)

christina/Mausi (Google won't let me comment as me!)

christina said...

Wait, Google DID let me comment! Hallelujah!