Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Tale of Two Vacations

There are two types of vacations. On the one hand, you can go somewhere (preferably warm) and sleep and eat and watch TV and basically forget the world around you. On the other hand, you can go to someplace interesting (usually expensive) and eat exotic meals and visit fascinating museums and basically fill the cultural void in your life. The German and I were in desperate need of the former. Today we entered into the latter.

Although we flew to South Carolina with a lot of nothin' on our agenda, we decided to take a weekend trip to Florida. My Detroit Grandpa (not land o' cheese Grandpa, who usually comments on the blog) spends the winter near Sarasota and turned 80 in December. We decided to pay him a visit. My favorite Uncle decided to come down to Florida on the same weekend.

You know what they say. The road to hell was paved with good intentions . . .

I am kidding. The side trip is turning into a very good thing.

The German and I left the comfy confines of Summerville on Friday at 7:30am. We were pretty confident that we would make it to our destination early, especially when we hit the Florida boarder at 11:30am. We were wrong. Florida is BIG! We finally made it to Bradenton, FL at 5:45pm.

Detroit Grandpa and my favorite Uncle like to go and see and do. The German and I like to sleep on the beach. Today we actually found a happy medium. We went to a garden/zoo place and then hit the beach for 2 hours. Then we had cocktails and dinner and watched the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico. Good Times, Great Food, the World's Best Family. What more could a girl ask for? (Well, perhaps that perfect bikini body that I say today.)

Before you start to hate me, know that I am currently suffering from a stomach ache and hartburn from the U.S. food. I think my body is rejecting it.

9 comments:

J said...

I'm too jealous to comment on the FL beach part, so I'll just tell you that I have a stomach problem with US food the first few days I visit.

Haddock said...

You got to go to the beach! We visited Clearwater when we were on holiday to FL earlier this year. We really enjoyed it there :)

Jul said...

US food can be harsh! I usually spend the first week or so feeling perpetually over-full.

Hamish said...

My stomach usually hurts when I go back to the U.S. too, but that is mostly because I tend to drink for a couple days straight.

hexe said...

You probably drove right through my little town on your way. We've had some nice weather lately before hellfire summer begins so I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

EuroTrippen said...

Ohhh, I'd take on a stomach ache or two for decent mexican food & curly fries from Jack In The box, bikini body be damned!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late with this "comment" I suppose, but the way I count, you must be back from your sojourn back to the old USA. I feel that you have desserted your public by your lack of posts. But perhaps you will be forgiven if there is an update in the near future.
Love, Grandpa

Mike B said...

We chose the latter too. The Parnerin hates it when I don't bother to pick up USD at the bank because I still have a US ATM card ... she claims I like to live it dangerous. Hmmm.

Kely said...

These articles are fantastic; the information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written. It’s just great!! Do you want to know something more? Read it...:Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jaco beach hotel club, best western jaco beach costa rica, jaco beach nightlife. Visit us for more information at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/