Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Mamma Mia!

The German and I took a little excursion to Hamburg last weekend. The In-Laws gave us tickets for the show Mamma Mia for Christmas, and we finally got to use them. Unfortunately, the German did not have the best time.

All last week the German did what most teacher's feared: he chaperoned a group of kids on a class trip. Four teachers (including the German) took 33 17- to 19-year-olds to Italy for 5 days. I don't know which was worse for him, the ghetto blaster on the 15 hour bus ride or the filthy bungalows at the camping place that they stayed at or cleaning up a vomiting teenager that has broken curfew. Did you ever wonder what teacher's did when you were acting up on your class trip? Well, they call their spouses at 2am complaining. Only one good thing came out of all of this. He will NEVER DO IT AGAIN.

I met the German at the Bremen train station Saturday morning. The first thing we did was check into our hotel, where the German promptly passed out from being so tired. I woke him a few hours later so that he could take a shower. He looked around a bit confused.

German: Where are the others?

Claire: What others?

German: Where is Waltraud? (another teacher who had been on his trip)

Claire: My name is Claire. I am your wife. You are in Hamburg. You are no longer in Italy.

I don't think he believed me at first. After a shower, we met my brother-in-law and his wife for dinner. Because the show was on the "Reeperbahn", we decided to walk around and find a place to eat. For those who do not know, the "Reeperbahn" is the home of most of Hamburg's sex workers and sex shops. We choose a place that advertised "real American food." If using BBQ sauce makes something American . . . well, okay.

The show was good, if somewhat cheesy. The first 10 minutes I was a bit sceptical, but I relaxed and let the ABBA wash over me. However, the show was in German and I kept singing along in English. The guy next to me kept staring.

3 comments:

ian said...

never been tempted to go to a big production like that, all the more so because the advertising budget is obviously so huge. there's something impersonal about them, too big, too commercial, knowing they're being produced all over the world doesn't help either. i hope nevertheless that it was a welcome diversion after your husband's class trip. my wife is a teacher and has her tales of horror abroad with her kids as well. what they get away with here would have gotten us booted out of school for good!

J said...

Abba songs sung in German? How odd is that considering the fact that Abba wrote most of their songs in English.

Haddock said...

we saw the show in Stuttgart last year, and even though shows are not really my thing I really enjoyed it. Mrs H informs me that most of the musical dancers are normally English and that its tradition to do the songs in German :)