Monday, August 13, 2007

Dancing on the Ceiling

So on Saturday my 30th birthday came and went. And you know what . . . it feels like 29. I am not sure why turning 30 freaked me out so much. But I firmly believe that in life, we just have to get used to things. The past two days I keep pestering the German to ask me how old I am.

Claire: Come on! Ask me!

German: [sighing] Fine. How old are you!

Claire: I am 30!

We did not dance on the ceiling at the party but we did have a good time. I allowed myself a glass of sparkling wine, which upset my tummy. I think it was the acid and not the alcohol that did it. I was gleefully happy because two blogger buddies made it, Mausi and J. Besides a lovely wellness basket, they gave me the best birthday present - the opportunity to speak English for about 24 hours.

The German and I spent yesterday cleaning up and today I am happy to say that I am taking two weeks off for some much needed R&R. I still have some work to do, but a lot can be done at home and I will only go into the office twice.

The last two weeks of the kids course were difficult. The kids were okay, but my energy levels sunk with each passing day. By the last Friday, I thought I was going to pass out. Everyone kept telling me that it is "good practice." Yeah . . . right . . . I will never have 10 kids, so I hope I do not need anymore of that kind of practice.

I had my 15th week check up with the doctor today. I found out that my iron was low, which may be contributing to my fatigue. So it is onto the iron pills I go. He did an ultrasound today and we clearly saw our little one. There were definitely hands and legs and a big head and a strong heart and spine. It was actually very touching. The baby started moving its arms during the procedure. I cannot decide if it was waving or trying to suck its thumb. We want to know the sex but there was nothing to see. "Maybe next time," the doctor said.

I have been a bit slack on my blogging the past two weeks and I am really looking forward to catching up on reading, commenting and posting. Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes. It means a lot to me. Bis dann!

9 comments:

Carol said...

Happy happy birthday!! Glad it was happy, and so glad you got to meet Mausi and J! (I hope to next month, as well. Hey, where do you live? Can you come to the Frankfurt get-together on 9/29? E-mail me!)

And regarding feeling 29... I felt 29 on my 30th, 40th and 50th birthdays!

Carol

Dr J. said...

Hey, we have the same birthday!

Happy Birthday!

Heather said...

Happy 30th...

I've found...my thirties have been the most rewarding...and easy...

enjoy!

J said...

Carol, the three of us had met before.

Claire, you and The German are a great couple and it was great to meet him and see your house. The party rocked!

Heather is right, my 30s were very rewarding. It was when I finally got my butt in gear and made things happen for myself. I hope yours are just as rewarding.

christina said...

Thank you guys SO much for your hospitality. It was great to see you again and finally meet the German.

I really liked my 30's and the 40's aren't bad either. There comes a point where you just don't give a damn anymore what anyone thinks and it's all uphill from there! :-)

P.S. I'm still betting that it's a boy!

Schokolade Madchen said...

Happy Belated Birthday and Congratulations on the Little One:)

Mike B said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your thirties ... you're still climbing that hill everyone worries about being over.

EuroTrippen said...

Ultrasounds are the best... tiny glimpses at something soon to change your life in the best ways possible.

Enjoy your R&R, and speaking as someone who turned 39 a week ago, 30 is nothing!

ann said...

Happy birthday, belatedly. Wedding on Sat., otherwise I would have commented much earlier. I now, however, live in fear of congratulating anyone before his/her birthday. Ahhh, life in Germany.

Rest up and many, may many good things come your way in your 31rst year!