Monday, September 03, 2007

Into the Fog

Since I discovered I was pregnant, I have done a lot of reading about different pregnancy symptoms. Although I was nauseous and tired my first three months, there is not much to indicate that I am pregnant expect my ever expanding waistline. When I read that pregnant woman become "forgetful," I thought, "Well they just don't have a good system." How wrong I was.

For the past few weeks I have begun to notice that I am slowly losing my mind. I leave my keys everywhere. I often wander around the house from room to room trying desperately to remember what it was that I wanted to do in the first place. And of course it was my absent mindedness that sent the German and I on a 4 hour journey through Dublin last week. It is as if the baby is sucking the intelligence right out of me.

Today my "absentmindedness" reached another level. This afternoon I walked into a gas station to fill up Smarty. After pumping I walked into the station and put down my ATM card. (In case you are wondering, I have never seen pay-at-the-pump here in Germany.) The very nice man behind the counter swapped my card and indicated that I should type in my code.

I just looked at him. My mind was absolutely blank. He smiled. I got worried. And still nothing came to me. Now, in my defense I have 3 ATM cards: my personal account, my joint account, and my business account.

Claire: Um. I cannot remember the code. Can we try a different card?

The man laughed. I took out my personal account card only because I have that code written on a piece of paper in my wallet. The card went through no problem. I tittered a bit.

Claire: That is what happens when you have too many cards.

I then rubbed my now evident baby bump hoping that the man would excuse a pregnant woman's craziness. Thankfully, he was very nice about the whole thing.

The German has been supportive, but at a bit of a loss about my descent into the pregnancy fog. Because he cannot remember much either, it is a bit like the blind leading the blind. In our marriage there is a definite division of labor. I am the magical finder of all things, the list maker, the appointment reminder. You can see how the kid is going to create problems over the next few months.

German: Honey, where are the keys?

Claire: I don't know. Where did you put them?

German: I don't know.

[Pause]

Claire: Well, I guess we won't be going anywhere for awhile.

I just hope that when the time is right, we will remember where the hospital is.

7 comments:

J said...

"I leave my keys everywhere. I often wander around the house from room to room trying desperately to remember what it was that I wanted to do in the first place. And of course it was my absent mindedness that sent the German and I on a 4 hour journey through Dublin last week."

I'm quite convinced that these types of things happen to all teachers because I experience them too.

Either that or I'm pregnant.

Dixie said...

You have the menopause fog to look forward to.

hexe said...

The pregnancy forgetfulness is just a warm up for the whole first year exhaustion based forgetfulness. By year two, you have surrendered and actually build time into your schedule for finding things. I fear by menopause I won't even know my own name.

Expat Traveler said...

ouch, things aren't looking up here seen by the comments... We are still on the fence... lol

I guess you should get good at writing yourself more more more notes, and making more lists!

Carol said...

I used to call it "birth brain." When are you due?!

Carol

Snooker said...

Gosh, I live in just such a fog everyday, unfortunately I don't have pregnancy to blame it on.

I guess you should be happy that at least you have an excuse.

Now... where did I put my mouse?

christina said...

Oh yeah, happens to all of us. But the reward of a beautiful little baby is totally worth it.

I also blame the brain fog on other things these days.