Tuesday, October 02, 2007

In Search of an Answer

Last week was perhaps the longest of my pregnancy. After working too many hours from Monday through Saturday, I had a good friend visit from California on Sunday and Monday. I was looking forward to the next three days off. I was thinking swimming, blogging, reading, etc. Unfortunately, I am now thinking humidifier, tea and sleep.

Yesterday I had a sore throat and stuffy nose. I woke up at 1am so stuffy that it was difficult to breath and I could not go back to sleep. I wound up on the sofa with a cup of tea and watched Monday Night Football (which is Too Early on Freaking Tuesday Morning Football here in Europe).

I am tired. My joints hurt. My throat hurts. My nose is all stuffed up. And as a pregnant woman, I can take . . . nothing.

Seriously, can anyone help me out? Any good home remedies for colds in pregnant women?

PS None of this seems to bother Little Dude, who has been getting his groove on all morning.

7 comments:

Rositta said...

Other than tea with lots of honey and lemon there's not much else you can do. I came back to Athens from Germany with a bad cold but fortunately for me I'm not pregnant and got some antibiotics. Hope you get well soon...ciao

kim said...

i think you are allowed to take paracetamol. just double-checked and found this here: http://www.eltern-infothek.de/ei/content/Fuer_Eltern/Gesundheit/Schwangerschaft_Erkaeltung/index.html

i hope you feel better soon! :)

Carol said...

You'll hate this, but: Be glad that you're not feeling this way with a 16-month old toddling all over you, whining for attention, and zipping around the house...?!?!

Carol

Anonymous said...

You don't seem to be getting any sound advice or simpathy, so here goes-- colds are just one of the joys of life, so enjoy it [that's the simpathy] Homemade chicken soup[that's the advice].
The soup must be homemade, canned stuff just don't work! Bt the way, I don't like any kind of chicken soup.

Love, Guess who--

Lizz E said...

While I don't know nothin' about bithin' no babies, I asked around and the consensus was Vicks Vapor Rub. It will help with the joints and stuffed nose. For the throat, gargle with salt water. And lots and lots of sleep cause you should do it now while you can :-)

Feel Better!!

Tatiana von Tauber said...

well, my midwife put me on crushed garlic cloves. Granted I had a fever too but it is a natural antibiotic. I had to eat the cloves raw and "drink" it down with bread. It was horrible really but it worked. It may have been a placedo effect and given me the burps but it kept the vampires away so I had time to sleep and get better. lol I guess the question is, "how desperate are you"? Hope you feel better, Claire.

christina said...

You know what? When I was pregnant my pharmacist said that both nasal spray (Otrivin, Olynth etc) and Sinupret (herbal sinus medication) were OK to take in small doses. You should ask your doc and the pharmacist what they would recommend.