Monday, November 19, 2007

You Know It Is a Monday When . . .

In order to break up our daily grind, the New Yorker and I thought it would be a good idea to go out for brunch this morning. We could have some coffee, gossip and talk about the business for the week. Also, I had a gift certificate for a brunch buffet, which meant free eats.

This morning started off harmless enough. I actually got up on time, took a shower and got out to the car punctually at 8:30am. I walked to my car and looked in my purse. Garage door opener. Check. Office keys. Check. Car keys . . . wait a minute. Now where could those be? They are on my key ring with my house key of course, which at that moment was sitting in the hallway on the sideboard. I turned around and looked at the locked front door. I walked around the house and discovered that back door was locked, and the shades were down. Hmm.

Realizing that I had no way into my house and no way into my car, I knew that I had to call someone. The German was in the middle of teaching class, so he could not come home. Then I remembered that my in-laws have a key to the house, so I called them. Unfortunately, my father-in-law had just left for a doctor's appointment but my mother-in-law promised to come over as soon as he got home. I then called and cancelled with the New Yorker. And then I waited.

By 9am I was starving, so I walked into town and had brunch at a local bakery and then I did a little window shopping. I arrived back at home at 10:30am and sat in the basement, which I could get into thanks to the garage door opener. After going through my day planner and playing with my cell phone, my in-laws arrived at 11:30am. Thank goodness!

This has never happened to me before. I am happy to report that I stayed calm the entire time and then sent the German an SMS (text message). He called me immediately in a panic. After explaining the situation, he said, "We really need to put a copy of the house key somewhere outside." "Gee, sweetie, you think?"

Don't you just love Mondays.

4 comments:

christina said...

Hoooo! That sounds fun. Maybe put all the keys on one giant neon blinking key ring so there's no way you can forget any of them?

If you do hide a key outside, be aware that if someone finds it and uses it to get into your house and steal stuff, your insurance company can claim that you've been "grob fahrlässig". So makes sure it's in a really good place. :-)

Anonymous said...

If your opener is like mine, and has a outside pad where you can opperate the door with a code number, you could have a spare set of keys secreted somewhere in the garage for use in times of emergency such as today. It works for me.
Love, Grandpa

Anonymous said...

I never lost anything until I got pregnant. Four years after giving birth, I still can't find my stuff.

Rositta said...

I have a lock box (from my real estate days)on my back door with an extra key. Even though we don't need it we need to use the key to lock the door, it's for other people who might need to get into our house like grandkids etc...