Wednesday, December 05, 2007

You know it is Christmas in Germany when . . .

One sure sign that the holiday season has arrived in the U.S. is the TV marathons of our favorite movie classics, including "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Christmas Story."

Here in Germany there are many signs that it is Christmas time. There are the Christmas markets and the Gluhwein (mulled wine) and of course the Advent wreath.

However, yesterday evening there was the biggest sign of them all. I hear "Last Christmas" by Wham! on the radio. This song will be played over and over again until bad George Michael lyrics start spontaneously spouting from my mouth. I do not which is worse, the fact that it is played all the time or the fact that I secretly like it.

6 comments:

kim said...

i honestly think everyone secretly likes that song. and it totally IS christmas in germany :) i have yet to check out the weihnachtsmarkt here in bremen. do you have one in wildeshausen, too or do you just go to the one here? :)

J said...

I hate that song. Always have. The only good thing about the fact that they play it 200 times a days is that it gives us a break from hearing The Final Countdown (which I do like).

DBunny said...

Oh God, not "Last Christmas" again! I don't know which is more annoying... that, or "Jingle Bell Rock" AGH! I was just in the US and the hairdresser said, "Oh, I LOVE this song" when it came on in the shop. I wanted to strangle her. But she had the scissors...

Mike B said...

There are some secrets so dark and so dreadful that they should never be revealed!

Anonymous said...

Actually, you know it's Christmas time anywhere by simply looking at the calander. It's the 20th of December already.

Unknown commentor

Haddock said...

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year! :)