Friday, January 25, 2008

Bringing in Reinforcements

I am so excited about Sunday. No, I am not having the baby . . . My mom is flying to Deutschland! My mom was present for the birth of her first two grandkids (i.e. my sister's kids), and when she found out that I am pregnant, I knew that wild horses would not keep her away. She was, after all, the second person that I told (um, yes, the German was the first). Now in less than 48 hours she will be here! And she is staying for a month.

A month is a long time. When she first told me about her plans, I was a little bit nervous. My mom speaks no German. Yikes. Will I be able to handle the baby at home and a mom who speaks no English? She cannot even go to the store and buy bread on her own. My mom can say two sentences in German.

"Ein Bier, bitte." One beer, please.

"Gib sie drogen." Give her drugs. (She is learning that one for the birth, just in case I cannot speak for myself.)

I am terrified that she will use one of these two sentences at passport control on Sunday. I don't think they would let her into the country.

As I considered these things, angst descended upon me that I would have to look over her as well as the new baby. However, as is tradition amongst the women in my family, I was totally over reacting. Now, I am so happy that we will have that much time together. First, Little Dude is probably not going to be on time, so we know she won't miss the not so blessed event. Second, it will be good to have someone to talk to in English during labor. I am sure that my German will not be at its best as I am pushing out a bowling ball. Finally, I am glad I will not be alone with Little Dude for the first few weeks. Although I used to babysit newborns, I live in constant fear that I will "break" my kid. The German only gets one day off from work when Little Dude gets here. Thank goodness that mom will be here to help. Moms are good. I hope I can be as good a mom as she was.

In other news, I had my last day of work today. I am now on "maternity leave," or something resembling it. It was very strange to say to my students today, "So that's it for me. See you in April." I cannot imagine not going to work for two months. In fact, I have already made a small list of things I want to do in my office on Monday. When I mentioned to my mom last night that I had to run to the office on Monday, she yelled. Loudly. "No!" I guess I will have to find some way to distract her.

8 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

Enjoy the visit with your mom. No doubt this will be a special time for you both and you will be happy to have her help. And as for work...April will be here before you know ir!!!

Carrie said...

1 day???? OMG, I would have to make him take vacation time b/c 1 day wouldn't cover the labor part...know what I mean? That basically allows you to get a nap, not rest and sleep that I'm sure you'll need after giving birth. When can you fly with the baby? Maybe when the summer comes around- I'm thinkg beach house vacation!

Rositta said...

Don't worry about Mom, the border buys speak English, she'll get thru. You only get TWO months maternity leave in Germany! WTF, here in Canada women get one year that husband and wife can split if they want. Wow, and I thought Germany was better...ciao

EuroTrippen said...

Surely hubby will take his paternity leave later on? Have fun with your mom... birthin' babies is serious business and, well, obviously mom's been through it, that's bound to give you some comfort.

The best advice I ever got for newborns was the following: "When the baby sleeps, YOU sleep" Kinda tough when it's the middle of the day, but it sure does help with those long nights...

Anonymous said...

rositta,
in Germany parents also get a year off (actually 14 months if they split it). with 70% of their pay, too. i bet Claire chooses to go back to work early to not abandon her clients.

Juanita said...

Enjoy your Mom! The first time I ever really appreciated mine was right after the birth of my first son, when she came to stay with me for a week. I cried when she left to go home. She was so invaluable to a first-time mom.

christina said...

Awww, that's so nice that your mom will be there when the little guy arrives. My mom came over when our guys were 6 weeks old and it was really great but I would have loved for her to have been there right from the start.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

I am still laughing about the "gib sie drogen"...there are just some phrases that are needed in times like this! :) Good luck!