Friday, January 04, 2008

Out with the old . . . and stuff

Dear Little Dude,

I cannot believe it. In less than 30 days you will be here. Everyone is convinced that you will come early. US Grandma dreamt twice that you will be born on Jan. 30, dad-squared’s birthday (I guess that is Grandpa Squared to you). However, I do not think that I will be that lucky. Nope, you seem to really enjoy kicking me in the kidneys too much to come out early.

You have gotten so much bigger over the past month. So much so, that I cannot put on shoes and socks without your father’s help. Sometimes though, he will sit there and laugh for a minute before helping. If you ever do this to me, I will ground you. Because I can. I am the mom. I would ground your father sometimes if I could.

Unfortunately I have been extremely tired and hungry lately. The only thing on the program is eating and sleeping, which is causing you to get even bigger. Do you see the vicious cycle that is developing? I wish that nesting instinct would kick-in. The house could use a good cleaning.

You got two really good Christmas gifts this year, but I do not think you will be able to appreciate them for awhile. First, US Grandma sent me my childhood Christmas angel. The angel is about 23 years old and was on the top of almost all my childhood Christmas trees. Although your father wants to keep the tree in the German tradition of red and gold, I put some color on it this year and the angel. It made me really happy, which made your father happy It looks like the colorful tree will be allowed to stay.


We still have not decided when you will be opening Christmas gifts in the future. Where daddy is from the Christ Child brings them on Christmas Eve, which is when they are opened. Where mommy is from Santa Claus (aka Saint Nicholas) brings them when you are asleep on Christmas Eve and then they are opened in the morning on December 25. We have a few years before this becomes a problem. Maybe I will write to the Embassy and see if there are any official rules for duel citizens such as your self.

Your second present is from your Germany Grandpa. Over the past two weeks, he has renovated your room. First he removed a window and put a big hole in the roof. This did not make me too happy. However, he managed to pull things together in just one week. You have a new radiator and windows that actually keep the wind and cold out. See, we are thoughtful parents already.


We still have to paint and finish up the flooring and the furniture store has not delivered the baby furniture yet. We have our fingers crossed that your bed will not be a repeat of the dreaded sofa “incident.” I cannot promise you anything though. Because of all the work that is left, could you do me a favor and not come early? Enjoy the rest of your stay in the womb. Trust me, it is cold out here. However, lay off the soccer practice with my bladder if you can. Thanks.

Much love,
Mom

9 comments:

Rositta said...

I just thought I'd mention that when you get the nesting instinct and the need to clean your house desperately that is when the little dude will show up, it's been proven...ciao:)

traveller one said...

A Christmas "angle"? Really? LOL!

I vote for Jan 30- the day my own adorable son was born!

Juanita said...

It's good to see you post again. May "the little dude" arrive healthy and in his own time.

Carol said...

Oh man, time has just FLOWN! Didn't you just announce this pregnancy? I'm so excited for you! Before you know it, l'il dude will be 18. Huge sigh.

Carol

Bek said...

It has to be January 30 - it's also my birthday:)

Carrie said...

OK, so I'm a bad friedn b/c I still have your xmas gift in the trunk of my car...why can't the post office be open at 3am?

hexe said...

Rest up - Little Dude will be here soon enough to keep you up at night in other ways besides bladder kicking.

J said...

Your FIL is amazing.

EuroTrippen said...

Can't believe it's almost time! 2008 is going to be an event-packed year for you...