Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cake Will Save the Day

What should you do if you find yourself in a country where you don't speak the language, but have a TV and spend hours in front of it? Watch cooking shows. I have found that cooking shows are the easiest and most interesting to translate. Also, they involve a lot of easy to understand pictures. Mom and I have watched A LOT of cooking shows over the past three weeks.

Last week we watched Wissenshunger. On this show we learned that the Linzer Torte is the oldest cake recipe in the world. Wow. That is a bold claim. This cake, which is made of a crumbly pastery with lots of ground nuts and a jelly filling, was first documented in 1653.

On TV the cake was made at a bakery in Linz. They used ground hazelnuts and a special jam. I watched with interest and thought, "I can do that." After the show I went to my copy of Dr. Oetkers German Baking Today to look up the recipe. The book called for almonds and raspberry jam. I decided to use a mixture of ground almonds and hazelnuts and a jelly mix of raspberry and red current. Behold my results.



Not bad, if I do say so myself. I have never baked anything involving a lattice top. That part was a bit difficult.

Maybe tomorrow I will try something new. The German has said that the only good thing that has come from all this waiting is the lunch and cake that he gets everyday when he gets home from work!

7 comments:

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

LOL...nesting has gone into hyper-mode :) Your torte looks fabulous...I am going to have to make one now!

christina said...

Yeah, hyper-nesting!!

Now that is an awesome cake - my dad is Austrian and it's one of his favourites. Dr. Oetker also has a website with tons of good recipes in case you're on a roll.

G in Berlin said...

Hi- I was looking at your timer and I see that you are 2w2d over. In the US, they won't let you get past 2w w/o inducing (I had #1 the night before my induction was scheduled). Is it different over here or are they checking fluid levels, etc and feeling confident that the due date was incorrect? I had never heard of an induction not "taking", though, so maybe they feel your body is not ready?

Also, you should try a Mohne cake. But I am finding Dr. Oetker's book(which I bought as well;-)) too fatty and sweet, so I googled an Austrian recipe for it.
I'm thinking of you!

Penelope said...

I also had an induction that didn't happen. My son apparently wasn't ready then but bounded into the world 6 days later with just 3 hours from start to finish of labor and weighing in at a hefty 9lbs 9oz. He came when he was good and ready and that independent spirit still serves him well today!
I hope it works out for your mom to be there. As a grandmother I know how important that would be to her. Best wishes.

Rositta said...

That's a nice torte, for sure your gonna have that baby soon...ciao

Carrie said...

That actually looks as good as some of the deserts they have staring and calling to me from the high-end deserty places in Vegas.

I bet the German is gaining weight, but that's ok, he'll need his strength when the baby is born...to rub your feet. HAHA!

The Lone Beader said...

Just stoppin by to say hello. Your blog is named after two of my favourite things. :D