Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Room with a View



I can report that not all furniture stories in Germany end with pictures of sofas falling apart. In fact, there is sometimes a bit of a happy end and I am happy to say that the baby furniture finally arrived . . . and before the baby did / has. But of course there was a little catch . . . would you expect anything else?

Last Tuesday my mom and I drove up to the furniture store. I wanted to make sure that the furniture would be in by Feb. 2 (two weeks after its due date). When we got to the store, I presented my receipt / contract to the woman and asked, “When will it be delivered?”

“Well, when would you like it?”

“Friday would be great.”

“Let me check and see if that is possible.”

The saleswoman punched some numbers into the computer and made a call. She looked at me and shook her head.

“The earliest availability is Monday.”

(Big sigh from Claire). “Ok.”

When she got off the phone I looked at her and said, “I was just hoping to have everything settled before my due date. But I will send my father-in-law on Monday to pick it up.”

Confused Saleswoman: “Wait, you want to pick it up?”

Claire: “Um, yes. That is what we agreed to.”

Confused Saleswoman: “But you said delivery.”

Claire: “Yes. I meant when will it be delivered to the store so that I can pick it up.”

Confused Saleswoman points to the computer screen: “Oh, well it is here now. We got it in on Friday.”

(It was now Tuesday) Claire: “You have had my furniture since Friday? And you were going to call me . . .”

Defensive Saleswoman: “I am sure we would have gotten to it today.”

But all’s well that ends well, as they say. The baby’s room is now done, and doesn’t it look great! It is a Winnie-the-Pooh theme in green and beige. I choose neutral colors in that 1% chance that Little Dude turns out to be Little Dude-ette. All of the furniture is in the nursery except the crib, which is in my bedroom. As I went to bed last night, I turned to the German. "Now all we need is the baby." He looked at my bump and said dryly, "Yeah, that might take awhile."

7 comments:

Diane Mandy said...

We've had similar furniture experiences in Germany. It's crazy! But I think the furniture you chose looks wonderful.

Liz said...

Oh that nursery set is too precious! See Little Dude knew there was a good reason to wait to make his grand arrival!

:-) Liz

Michelle said...

Looks very cute! Glad the furniture is better behaved this time - you don't need that headache now.

J said...

It looks lovely. Now that the baby knows it has a place to sleep, it should be along any day.

hexe said...

Gorgeous! No late furniture this time, just a late baby!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Meja Makan said...


How nice your furniture. . .. Im from Indonesia. . . I have teak furniture products. . . This one of the products that we produce.

Furniture Jati
Meja Makan Minimalis
lemari pakaian
toko furniture
kursi tamu
Dipan Jati
Mebel Jepara