Sunday, March 02, 2008

Now for you Entertainment Pleasure

Please Welcome to the Stage our newest cast member:

Christopher Charles Sch***** (aka Little Dude, The Dude)

Born: Feb. 22, 2008

Weight: 7 lb 9 oz

Length: 21.3 inches

My call for name suggestions got lots of comments, but I don't think Christopher was one of them. The German suggested it and I think it is lovely. Charles is the name of my Motown Grandpa, Dad-squared and the German's dad (okay so his name is Karl). It is a good family name.

I wish I had a picture to post, but my brain is a little scattered at the moment. The Dude and I came home yesterday. The C-Section was not so bad. In fact it turned out to be the best decision as the baby was definitely overdue. Ironically I started to have contractions 2 hours before the procedure, but the doctors and midwife said it could still be days, so we went full speed ahead.

I did have a small complication. The Monday after the procedure I was looking very pale, was tired and had a headache. The doctors tested my blood and found that my HB (hemoglobin) was down to 5.4 (a normal person has a 12). That afternoon they had to give me a blood transfusion, but not after telling me that I have a very strange blood type (would you expect anything less?) and that they needed to get the blood from Bremen.

I am back on my feet physically, but emotionally is another story. Hormones are crazy and my need for a schedule and control is now being toyed with by the Dude. I worry all the time if he is eating enough, sleeping enough, should I use a pacifier, is his body temperature okay? You get the picture. I know . . . relax. It will take awhile.

The baby is perfectly healthy and beautiful. Because of the C-section he has a perfectly round head. I will try to find the camera over the next few days and post a picture. Cannot promise anything, though, I have mommy brain now.

PS: Yes, he has already urinated on me while changing his diaper. Men :-)

23 comments:

Haddock said...

Congratulations Claire! You will make a wonderful mum. Glad all went well and you are both fine! :)

cartooncat said...

Congratulations! What lovely news. Glad it all went well and that you and baby Christopher are both fine.

EuroTrippen said...

Yay! And don't worry about the feeding/sleeping/comfort stuff... Christopher will have you trained in no time.

Bek said...

Congratulations! I am glad to hear that everything went fine.

J said...

Splendid. Congrats to you guys.

Juanita said...

Congratulations, Claire! I like the choice of name - it sounds good with the German surname. Ah yes, and the "urinating on Mutti" thing - I remember it well!

kim said...

congratulations to the little dude. good to hear all went well!

and i think christopher is a wonderful name. not at all biased by the fact that that's my american's name :)

christina said...

Yay! You did it! Congratulations all around. And that's a GREAT name - perfect in both English and German.

Glad to hear that you're feeling OK and we're looking foward to pictures when you're up to it.

Christina G said...

Congrats Claire and welcome Christopher. That's a great name you picked, it would've been my name if I'd been a boy, and it's Brother #1's name (yes, my parents had a thing for the name Chris).

Can't wait to see that perfectly round head of his!

ian in hamburg said...

Congratulations!

Rositta said...

Congratulations and I'm glad all went well. Take you time adjusting to being a Mommy, it takes a little and don't forget to be good to yourself...ciao

Maria said...

Woo hoo! :)

Chris Schuette said...

I'm also biased toward the name Christopher, especially since my name is Christopher "John" Schuette. I get Google alerts for my family name, but this is the first time a "Christopher" has shown up! Congratulations to you.

Oh, and if my experience as a son is any indication, you're gonna have your work cut out for you!

Nicolette said...

Congratulations Claire and "the German" and welcome to the Little Dude! I guess he won't leave you much time for blogging in the weeks and months to come... ;-)
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Claire! Welcome to little Christopher Charles, (great name)! Good luck to you and your new family. Sleep when you can!!!! Pam

Anonymous said...

Yay Claire! Congratulations to you both!

-amy

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to comment on your latest endeavor, however I really don't know just what to say. I feel you will do a great job as you have all those years experience being a kid yourself. I'll wait a little for a picture as newborns look a lot alike as far as I'm concerned. I hope your Mother has survived the whole month over there, I haven't heard anything from her since she came back home. I do miss the personal e-mails we used to have.

Love, Grandpa

J.Hager said...

Congratulations to you and your husband on your new addition! My heart goes out to both of you.

C N Heidelberg said...

Congratulations!!!! I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the news.
Christopher is a great name. One of my favorites; I'm not even making that up. Great choice!

hexe said...

Congrats on Christopher! Take it easy and just do what you need to in order to get throught the day. I worried a lot with my daughter - it took me awhile to relax about everything. Someone once told me, every thirty days becomes easier and I did find that to be true. Whatever the problem, in thirty days we were on to something new!

Diane Mandy said...

Congratulations! I can't believe we are seeing you here so soon. I look forward to seeing the picture when you get around to it!

stringbean said...

CONGRATULATIONS! And welcome to the world, Little Dude!

Carrie said...

Yeah! When is the next one on the way? Haha! Bet you haven't gotten that one yet. j/k...take your time, get used to one then think about another one.

Put a towel over his dingy and he won't get ya on the face.