Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Born on the Fourth of July

Okay, so the Dude was not born on the 4th of July, but I do have a friend that was. He is German so does not see any significance in the date, other than it being his birthday. This Friday will be the Dude's first 4th of July. It saddens me a bit that it is just another day here in Germany. For me the 4th of July was all about BBQ, lemonade, swimming, fireworks and having my step-brother fire bottle rockets at me. The Dude is half American but will not be exposed to any of the Americana that makes the US great, if not a bit cheesy and over the top.

I started thinking about the Dude's American half and remembered that we need to get his U.S. passport in order. Therefore, I am planning a trip to Berlin at the end of the month. First, we have to "declare that he was born" . I find this amusing. Do I go up to the embassy and say, "Ta-da! Here he is! Didn't I do a good job?" After this declaration, we can then apply for a passport. I want to get this all done quickly as there is still a small chance that we will go to the U.S. for Christmas.

In the spirit of being American and the 4th of July, I took MSN's Could you pass the latest citizenship test? I only missed one and got 95% . No, I will not tell you which one I missed. But go check it out. How would you do?

PS That story about my nephew is TRUE! Kids really do say the funniest things.

7 comments:

Dr. J said...

If you make it up here I'd love to meet up for a coffee!

Maria said...

Strange. We did our declaration and passport in the same trip. The declaration came in the mail first, but one trip was it-- we had to fill out the forms, swear in front of the official person that we told the truth on The Boy's behalf and all. I was nursing him under a blanket, and the guy told me that he'd "have to see him at some point." Luckily The Boy finished quickly. LOL!

Rabble Rouser said...

It's funny but when I lived abroad I always got the most homesick around the time of the cheesiest holidays and the 4th definitely ranks right up there. I promise to have a tall glass of lemonade for you and next year I will definitely smuggle you some bottle rockets :-)

Diane Mandy said...

Smarty pants! I only got an 80 percent. Happy 4th!

Christina G said...

Damn, I didn't know who the Chief Justice is (and I guessed correctly on the number of reps)

Carrie said...

I don't need to try to know I wouldn't do too well...we're steaming crabs and drinking beer tomorrow. I'll pick one for you.

Snooker said...

Hey, maybe we three (you, me and Dr. J) could do coffee when you visit Berlin? I'll be traveling in the end of the month, but depending on the dates, it might just work out.