Friday, July 11, 2008

A Hairy Situation

One of the advantages of being married to a school teacher is the long summer vacations. The last day of school was Wednesday and I am now looking forward to an entire six weeks of family time. The most exciting part . . . knowing that the German can get up in the middle of the night and give the Dude his pacifier or feed the Dude at 6:00am. I will not make him do it every day, but I am definitely going to take some time off. With all the sleep and relaxation, I may become an entirely new person; think of it as a kinder, gentler, less bitchy Claire.

In preparation for the whole new me that I want to be, I took a "mental health day" on Tuesday and went to the hair salon. The hair salon can be a dangerous place for an expat. First, it is difficult to know where to go. Even though I have lived in this town for well over a year, I had no clue where to go. Luckily I have the pulse of Wildeshausen at my finger tips; the women from my mommy-and-me class. Although some of them expressed their sadness at not going that often themselves, they did have a recommendation for me. It was a bit more expensive, but worth the money. So, off I went.

The second problem that an expat faces at the salon: the language barrier. Even though I speak very good German and have spent 6 years in this country, I turn into a complete idiot as soon as I see the woman with the scissors. I blame this on the fact that "salon vocabulary" is not taught in schools. Forget buying bread, I really need to know how to explain hair color, roots, layering and please dear God don't cut my bangs to short. (The word for bangs by the way: pony. Weird, huh?)

My lovely new hairstylist took one look at my dry, split-end, faded hair and knew exactly what the problem was. In fact I did not have to do much talking at all. And the salon might have been expensive, but I went for everything that was offered to me. Cappuccino. Fabulous. Blond Highlights. Why the hell not. Treatment for the dry, split ends. Slap it on. Hand massage from a strange person. Let's not carried away, shall we.

When she was done (in one hour 45 minutes, a record for me!), I was very pleased with the results. Then came the real hard part, the bill. It has been awhile since I went to a salon in the U.S. but in Germany you have to pay for every little thing that they do. On my bill was hair treatment, color, highlights, cut, blow dry, mousse and hair spray. It adds up! The cappuccino, however, was on the house.

After I got home, I had to pass the man test. The German nodded his approval and did not even ask how much it was, thank God, and even better the Dude still knows who I am.

UPDATE: Okay, okay. I did not have a picture in the original post because I was on my way out the door when I was writing. Below is a pic. My hair is definitely lighter and shorter, but looks better in person.



11 comments:

J said...

I bet you look great! Also, the German seems to know what's best for him..lol

Carol said...

No photo??? No fair, Claire! ;-)

Carol

Rositta said...

Where's that photo? Someday I will do the same some day. Funny last year my friend in Wiesbaden wanted me to go to her stylist, I told her 80 euros for a haircut was nuts. Fortunately for me they book three weeks in advance and I was only there a week. Me, I like my 15 dollar haircuts just fine for now...ciao

Rabble Rouser said...

I gotta join the chorus for a photo!! My salon is awesomely ghetto so I'm very jealous :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah.i am sure you must be looking very nice.i just wanted to ask you that you mentioned mommy and me in the post.is there anything like that in germany too?

umarah

Carrie said...

Dear Claire- I am so glad you took a day for yourself...now, you must do that on a regular basis to keep your sanity. I have to do it with my nail appointment every 2 weeks...and the husband is ok with it because it keeps my bi$ch factor down too. :) Want to see a picture.

hexe said...

Looks great! Take advantage of your husband being home. You will feel better and he wiwll have a better understanding of your days when he returns to work. Enjoy!

Carrie said...

Very nice...it's kind of a young mommy-do...very Claire.

Erin said...

Your new cut looks great, so I'm surprised to hear that after 6 years here you still don't have German salon lingo down.

I recently got my hair cut at a German salon. With my very Basic German I discovered that "ein bisschen kürzer" translated to cutting off six inches!

Rabble Rouser said...

Your hair looks so shiny and pretty. You are totally worth the indulgence!

Diane Mandy said...

It looks awesome! I'm jealous. I've been here 7 months and am still having a hard time in the hair department.