Monday, July 07, 2008

It's what all the kids are doing

After a little bit of peer pressure from Ch-ard (not so much pressure as a push . . . okay actually a nudge) I made a Facebook page. I have been very reluctant to join these types of social networks / communities. A place where my popularity is based on how many friends I have . . . hmm, I had enough of that in high school thank you very much. But he assured me that it was a great way to keep in touch and find old friends. So I gave it a whirl.

Holy lost friends, Batman! I cannot believe how many of my old friends I have rediscovered and how much better I can keep in touch with them. It has been so strange to see friends from high school as . . . well, as grown ups. This one is married and that one has kids. This one is making movies and that one is moving to Japan. This one lives in Singapore and that one is building a house. It all sounds so adult. When did we become adults??

But just when you think you are growing up, your past will sneak up on you. When I saw that New Kids on the Block were reuniting, my heart skipped a beat. Time for another startling confession: That was the first concert I ever went to. Before you judge me (you already have, haven't you?), know that I was not as bad as my sister. She had the magazines, buttons, posters, shirt and towel. Now they are also doing a song with New Edition. Really, can life get any better than that? On the other hand, it is a bit surreal to see your teenage heart throb in his late 30s.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Shh... I liked NKOTB too. LOL!

Diane Mandy said...

I hope you continue to enjoy Facebook. I have two: one for my blog persona and my real page. It's been a blast reconnecting with people.

Michelle said...

Funny you posted about Facebook today - I did as well. It is a riot! Most of my 'friends' so far are newer friends but there have been a few blasts from the past already.

Rabble Rouser said...

I'm so pleased that Ch-ard persuaded you to join! While I don't like the frenetic pace of MySpace, I am stone cold addicted to Facebook. I especially like that you have to accept a person as a friend before they can access your information because really there are some people I'm okay not reconnecting with.

As for the NKOTB love? I was never in on that particular pop culture milestone. I was too busy fawning over soap stars from the 70s. Now tell me, who is dorkier?! :-)

Carrie said...

Oh and gues what else is coming back....wait for it...

Beverly Hills 90210

Holy cr4p! I can't wait....sike!

Anonymous said...

hello,

As you are an expatriate/foreigner, http://linkexpats.com (expatriates social networking website) might interest you.

You might want to put it in your links page, it may help your readers as well.

-j