Monday, August 11, 2008

They Say Its Your Birthday

The lovely Tatiana celebrated her birthday yesterday. Now Tatiana is a little bit more down to earth than I am. She did not want "stuff" for her birthday. Rather, she wanted her friends and family to look into themselves and share with her the things that they are thankful for. I think that is an excellent way to celebrate your birthday. Because today is my birthday (oy! the big 3-1), I thought that posting my list would be a way to celebrate the things in my life that make me happy.

1. My father’s cancer being in remission
2. A husband who tries to make me smile when I am not so happy sometimes; he brightens every single one of my days
3. A healthy baby boy who, even when he won’t let me sleep, makes me realize that the future is so full of possibilities
4. My driver’s license: I can get away and turn up the music and smile and be myself and completely alone, but I always have a wonderful place to go home
5. Homemade blueberry muffins: they remind me of being a kid and are my all time favorite; no matter how low I feel one bite puts me in a good mood
6. The wonderful women in my mommy-and-me groups. In those first difficult months of motherhood I had no idea what I was doing. However, these women helped me, made me laugh and were so supportive.

I am sure there is more, but these are the things that came to me quickly. Coincidentally, today is also the feast day of St. Clare of Assisi. No, I am not named after her; I am named after my grandmother. But is is a strange coincidence nonetheless. Out of curiosity, I looked her up and found out that St. Clare is the patron saint of embroiderers, eye disease, gilders, goldsmiths, good weather, laundry, and television. This made me giggle a bit. I have terrible eye sight, spend most of my time doing laundry and watch entirely too much television. Maybe St. Clare plays a role in my life after all.

9 comments:

vontauber said...

Oh Claire, besides the fact that I'm really happy you made a list and mentioned my crazy idea, how fantastic that it's *your* b-day! Gotta love those Leos. :-) Have a great birthday and my b-day wish for you is SLEEP! I'm finally getting that at least but with the little one at 2 y/o, that's about all the peace I'm getting.

I'm so sorry I threw all that lovely mommy stuff at you. I was really all that lovely when I went on and on about it but the whole 2 y/o tantrum thing - well, it tarnishes motherhood. I hope your boy isn't like my girl. Really, I hope nobody has a hellish toddler like mine though I keep telling myself "it's just a stage; this too will pass". I think she came to this world to test my ideas on the whole motherhood thing, I tell ya. lol All the best to you on your special day ~ Tatiana

jen said...

Happy Birthday, lovely lady.

I think tatiana's birthday wish is lovely in theory, but utter crap in practice. She's getting a gift from sparky and I regardless of her very pleasant philosophical mind.

Good list and enjoy your day!

J.Hager said...

Happy Birthday Claire!!!

There's a Patron Saint for eye disease???

Eat lots of cake and watch lots of TV today. You've got prescription to "chill". Didn't the German also have a Birthday like 3 days ago? Are you both Leo's? OH SHOOT... (John remembers now, that his little sister has a birthday this month, but doesn't remember the day. Must call Dad.) Hope you get lots of presents and that more items for your list come to you through out the day. :)

Rabble Rouser said...

Happy birthday sweetie! Taking that first official step into your 30s is scary but everything you hear about it all coming together seems to be true. I wish for you today a plateful of blueberry muffins, schmaltzy Olympic coverage and a baby that sleeps for 10 hours!

And not for nothing but my cousin Clare was named after Saint Clare to which my grandmother, a former catholic, lamented. She wanted to know why they couldn't have chosen one "with a little more oompf to her." :-)
Liz

vontauber said...

Jen, don't you know everything is lovely in theory and crap in practice? But if more people practiced theory, think how lovely the world would be.

Rositta said...

Happy Birthday Claire, I am glad about your Dad...ciao

Snooker said...

Ah 30... it is but a distant memory.
BUT, it was the best decade of my life. I hope the same for you.

Here is hoping that the next year holds all of these things for you:
Health
Wealth
Wisdom

Happy Birthday

kim said...

even though i'm late: happy 31st. i had mine in feb and the 31 isn't too bad after all :) to a great year for you!

hexe said...

Happy Belated Birthday!