Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Adding to the Evidence that I might be a Bad Mom

The Dude has been giving me grief for about a week. Around 11:30 I usually give him his lunch and then put him down for a nap. For the past week, he usually screams his head off for about 15 minutes before he lets me feed him. The crying could be a result of tiredness so I am moving lunch and nap time up a bit.

In the mean time, I sing songs to keep him quite. Anything. Anything at all that pops into my head. For awhile KC and the Sunshine Band did the trick. Last week I was desperate to change the sound track and the first thing to pop into my head was Salt-n-Pepa. Lordy, the Dude loves "Push It." At first I thought it was just the song, but when I showed him the video on YouTube he giggled and started beating the desk.

Does this make me a bad parent? Am I promoting an unrealistic view of relationships? It sort of feels like that episode of Friends where Ross and Rachel sing "Baby Got Back" to their baby. All I know is that it keeps him quite long enough for me to shove his lunch into his face.

Interesting note, the Dude did not care for "Shoop." Hit it.

2 comments:

Maria said...

That doesn't make you a bad mom. Nope. Not even close. I sing 80s music sometimes. And The Beatles. LOL!

Rabble Rouser said...

I would suggest this makes you a good mom. Indoctrinate them now with the classics I say. Clare would wail for Cyndi Lauper. But not just any Cyndi Lauper. Nope, she wanted the Goonies theme song. Those months were a special kind of hell :-)