Thursday, September 04, 2008

Teenage Pregnancy is OK

Well, it will get you an invite to sit in the VIP section of the RNC convention.


Dude, if you don't want people talking about your kids, stop using them as props to get elected. You cannot have it both ways. Also, if you want to be VP your going to have to learn to put up with a lot worse. You seem to be able to give as good as you get, though.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah:

Bureau of Labor Statistics:

"The unemployment rate rose to 5.7 percent, and nonfarm payroll employment continued to trend down in July (-51,000), the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. Employment continued to fall in construction, manufacturing, and several service-providing industries."

From the National Priorities Project :

"The Iraq War costs about $551,000,000,000, and continues to increase. This is about $4,681 per household, $1,721 per person and $341.4 million per day."

According to Palin, the job's not done yet, but "victory is in our sight." Wait, didn't Bush declare victory?

From the AFL-CIO:

"McCain voted with the Republicans in 2007 to stall a clean minimum wage increase for working families—before bowing to public pressure and voting to pass the final bill that included tax breaks for businesses."

From the Tax Policy Center:

"Both (i.e. McCain and Obama) plans would sharply increase the national debt. Including interest costs, Obama’s tax plan would boost the debt by $3.5 trillion by 2018. McCain’s plan would increase the debt by $5 trillion.

The Obama plan would reduce taxes for low- and moderate-income families, but raise them significantly for high-bracket taxpayers. By 2012, middle-income taxpayers would see their after-tax income rise by about 5 percent, or nearly $2,200 annually. Those in the top 1 percent would face a $19,000 average tax increase—a 1.5 percent reduction in after-tax income.

McCain would lift after-tax incomes an average of about 3 percent, or $1,400 annually, for middle-income taxpayers by 2012. But, in sharp contrast to Obama, he would cut taxes for those in the top 1% by more than $125,000, raising their after-tax income an average 9.5 percent. "

Gee, looks like Palin did not realize that McCain has not really been fighting for me all this time and, like I have said before, no matter who is president, your taxes are going to go up.

I was Glad to hear that she agrees with Obama about alternate fuels. And new pipelines, great! Her husband working with BP and her sister's sub-station are not a conflict of interest at all.

UPDATE:

Dude, don't just take my word for it. I have had enough politics for one day. I am going to go rock the Shannon Stopover. (Thanks for the tip Brendan!)

Fact Check

Palin has never ordered the Alaska National Guard to do Anything

Tat's very interesting Take: Drinkin' Beer with Hockey Mom

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire, Another little white lie courtesy of Governor Palin has unearthed itself here in Ireland. It turns out she's really only 66.666% as well travelled as she originally led us to believe....Have a look.
Cheers! Brendan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-trip-to-ireland-a_n_123264.html?view=screen

Yelli said...

Hee Hee... Have you seen their newest talking point? Palin has foriegn policy experience because Alaska is NEAR RUSSIA???


http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2008/09/experience_by_osmosis.php

HILARIOUS!!!! (although technically wrong-Alaska is sandwiched between Canada and Russia!)

Anonymous said...

First, we could get nasty and talk about the horrible democrats.
Remember Mary-Jo Kopeckne? I'm sure Teddy Kennedy doesn't want you to.
Joe Biden?
Talk to Neal Kinneck in Ireland about how his speech was plagiarized by good old Joe.
Obama?
Well, I think running for office as Senator, just so he could run for Senator is a little wild. Especially since he never has done a darn thing in the Senate for anyone but himself.
You may not like McCain, but he has served his country honorably, suffered and then went to Washington to protect and serve there.
Probably before you were born.
Is he perfect?
No.
Is Obama perfect?
No
Are their VP choices perfect?
No.
It's all sort of a gamble.
Look at history.
You are a teacher. You will see that basically they all make promises that they do not keep. You pretty much have to vote on character.
I am amazed at how people are blinded by youth and inexperience.
Also, when was the last time you lived in THIS country?

Claire said...

LOL!!! I totally love anonymous comments. Especially this.

First, I lived in the US from birth until 2004, when I was married. I would actually like to return one day, which is why my American son just got his passport and I still celebrate Thanksgiving. But my German husband has a good job, so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

But most importantly, I am still an American no matter where I live. Or are you telling me I am not?

Second, not only am I a teacher, but I have a PhD in political science. I know what promises politicians make. In fact I am in the middle of preparing a blog about why McCain-Feingold hasn't done a damn thing about finance reform. You can look for that next week.

Third, glad to know that of all the things despite of all the things that have happened to me in my 31 years (life as a military brat, my parents divorce, college, marriage, starting my own business and becoming a mother) that I am still blinded my youth. LOL!

Finally, I will vote on character. The kind that Obama has. His belief in a better tomorrow gives me hope, silly me. His dedication to helping the poor and unemployed says volumes about his character.

I must also correct myself. Governor Palin's husband no longer works for BP. Must get my fact straight!

The German said...

As a German I am not allowed to vote for the 2008 US election but there is one thing that bothers me. The administration of George W. Bush led the US into a few serious problems.

Georgyboy and his fellows will leave a country behind, and the next president has to clean up with all the power he has.

Guantanamo is one of them. I know, there are some US citicen who like Guantanamo and they think it is necessary to have a prison like this, but for an European it is more than irretating, that people are in prison without a trail.

The point: Do we in Germany believe everything the politican say: Hell no!

But in our last 60 Years none of our chancllors or vice chanclers ever said, good gave us the job to free Iraq. No Mrs Palin, God didn't give you this job, it was Mr G.Bush and Dick (and Donny Rumsfeld).

For the record, Rumsfeld's relatives are German and live near Verden. One Cousin said, He should show up here we will show him what we think about his policy.

Dear anonymous:

Sometimes I have the feeling that living over the atlantic with a few more neighboers like the Netherlands and France, Switzerland and Poland let you be a little bit more diplomatic.

Yes McCain served in your army and yes he did a good job. But why does everybody say he the right man. 8 years ago nobody thought he was the right man. What happend in 8 years? He turned 72. Didn't he have enough experience with 64?

hexe said...

Ooohhh! I like the German's comment that now he is the right man. Now George Bush supports McCain after brutally attacking him eight years ago. McCain is honorable for his service to this country, but under that logic anyone who is a vetran and P.O.W. is qualified to be president. While the Republicans warn of increased taxes, they might want to remember the current debt they are leaving behind.

Anonymous said...

You can believe that I am using all my self-control to keep from making any kind of comment! I will say, however that I don't agree with almosy everybody about everything as far as solving the problems facing the next administration, because everybody refuses to recognose what the problem really is!!!!

This is your Grandpa, Marie.

Kristin said...

you said a lot of what i was thinking last night...although you must be a better/more patient person than me because i was getting so angry, i finally shut the drivel off. but as aggravated as a i got, i think they played right into obama's hand that the nastiness or "bull dog" approach will backfire. time will tell...

Carol said...

Glad I'm not the only one who's angry, obsessed with politics, scared and furious at the hypocrisy!

Carol

Snooker said...

Well, now I'm curious to see what Grandpa thinks the REAL problem in the U S of A really is...
Not being mean here, genuinely curious.

Diane Mandy said...

Politics aside, What gets me (even thoughI agree with everything you wrote in this post) is how quickly everyone accepts the impending marriage of two obviously unprepared teenagers. As if this will make everything better! I got married at 19 years old (because it was the only acceptable out in my very fundamental Christian home), not pregnant, and completely miserable avery shortly after the nuptials. At this age, you are not ready for the responsibility. I hope the Palin daughter and boyfriend aren't feeling pressured to make this leap because in some people's view it makes their actions more ok. Give these kids the time and space
to become the adults they need to be before insisting they marry.