Friday, September 05, 2008

You are on your Own

John McCain wrapped up the RNC convention with . . . well some called it rousing, but to me it looked tired and like more of the same. Here are some of the highlights.

“We believe in low taxes, spending discipline and open markets. We believe in rewarding hard work and risk takers and letting people keep the fruits of their labor. We believe in a strong defense, work, faith, service, a culture of life, personal responsibility, the rule of law and judges who dispense justice impartially and don’t legislate from the bench. We believe in the values of families, neighborhoods and communities.”

When I heard this I wondered how on earth he can be for lower taxes but spending discipline. He has watched as the U.S. debt has climbed into the trillions. He voted for Bush supported policies 90% of the time. This is what I think when I read these words:
  • We believe in low taxes for the rich because we reward their hard work.
  • We believe in open markets so that jobs can be shipped overseas.
  • We believe in a strong defense that alienates our closest allies.
  • We believe in a culture of life, but won't help single mothers and children in poverty. Remember that is personal responsibility. You are on your own.
  • We believe in our rule of law even it over steps the constitution or violates human rights. Any judge who says differently is legislating from the bench.
  • We believe in our values and those who don't agree with us are unpatriotic and unamerican.
You cannot have it both ways, John.

You cannot "cut taxes" and increase military spending. That is not "spending discipline." What are you going to cut? Health care for children? Social Security? College loans?

You cannot tell people to stop yelling and to work together and then tell your party to fight.

You cannot claim Obama has no record and then tell me that a governor with two years experience is better qualified to be president.

You cannot claim to be an independent and then let the right-wing conservatives in your party do your dirty work for you.

You cannot herald change, but then offer me no concrete examples of what you are going to change.

You cannot have it both ways, John.

It seems that all my political blogging has upset my Grandpa. Dude, he called me Marie. He never does that. But his comment got me thinking. What IS the problem facing the U.S.? How would you solve it? I open the floor for comments and discussion.

I am sorry to say but you all are now on your own. I am working on a post about McCain-Feingold but other than that I am swearing off politics next week. Mommy needs a rest.

Also the Dude is going through a screaming phase. This week he discovered that he can scream. Now he spends about an hour every morning lying on the floor, smiling, playing with his toys while screaming his head off. It is charming, I tell ya'. He also has been spitting up a lot lately. It is 10am here, and I am about to change my shirt for the third time.

Here's hoping you weekend is full of happy things and no baby puke.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here.

J.Hager said...

If you're a member of the Colbert Nation, then you know very well what the largest threat to this country is... bears.