Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Because I have very fond memories of Halloween, I wanted to bring a bit of this American tradition to Wildeshausen. It is very important to me that the Dude knows about his American half. Thus, not really thinking things through, I decided to host a Halloween party for 12 babies and 17 adults. Although there were moments this morning when I thought that I was insane to do it, now that it is over, the baby is in bed and everything is cleaned up, I can say that it was a lot of fun . . . but still a bit insane.

In theory, the right elements for a baby's Halloween party are not difficult to assemble. First you need decorations, especially pumpkins. Isn't it amazing what you can do with a hot glue gun, old buttons, and pipe cleaners?


Then you need food.

The cupcakes were totally fun and easy to make; I used Betty Crocker. The popcorn balls posed a bigger problem. This was a typical case of "not knowing what you're getting into." I downloaded the recipe and it looked easy enough. I lucked out because I had a bottle of corn syrup left over from a few Thanksgivings ago.

The Dude was a bit whiny this morning so I put him down for a nap and dug in. I popped the corn and melted all the ingredients together. Then I added the popcorn to the gooey mixture. The directions said 5 cups of popcorn. It seemed like such a small amount. There was still a lot of liquid left. So I put in more popcorn and checked the recipe. 5 quarts of popcorn! Well, that is a horse of a different color. The mixture started to cool so I pulled out some to shape a ball. It was not long before I was up to my elbows in sticky popcorn before I realized that I had forgotten to grease up my hands to prevent sticking. And right at that moment, the Dude woke up.

I had to laugh. "Hang on sweetie, mommy is making a big ol' mess." I did wind up getting it under control. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of my "eyes": green olives wrapped in puff pastry.

Of course, no Halloween party is complete without goody bags of American candy to take home.


And for the babies a craft project. We used orange paint to make hand prints on a sign that said "My First Halloween."

The crowning achievement though was the costume, courtesy of the American Oma.

I wish I could say that I was going to take it easy tomorrow, but I am teaching a crash course in Business English tomorrow from 9am to 4pm. So I get up just in time to give the Dude his bottle and then drive to work. I made this commitment a year ago, and the only reason why I am keeping it is because the money is good.

So for now, I will go and have a glass of wine and hope that the Great Pumpkin will come visit tonight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

No, not on the party. Well maybe on that too, BUT, mostly on the return to intelligent blogging.

Love, Grandpa

jen said...

dude, claire, i cannot believe how much you actually do. you are insane.

congrats on the good time and congrats on it being over! the dude looks so cute, i just want to snuggle him and eat his toes!.

give our love to the German.

Anonymous said...

He looks too cute for words!!! Glad to hear it all turned out well, and that the costume fit!

Love Mom

Dixie said...

Holy smokes! You are one energetic and creative woman.

The Dude is beyond adorable.

J said...

This made me laugh: "The cupcakes were totally fun and easy to make; I used Betty Crocker"

Easy if you can find Betty Crocker products..lol

I hate teaching all day crash courses.

Happy Halloween to you too, Claire. Your son looks adorable.

Caroline said...

Ahhh just love that little outfit. Well done on the Halloween decorations! My boys didn't want to dress up this year and somebody ran off with the pumpkin we put outside!

But the sweets were good.