Monday, May 25, 2009

Inside My Studio

Around the time the Dude was Born, the German and I started to get a few new channels via the satellite subscription service. We initially got the service so that I could watch Notre Dame get pummeled in football on ESPN America (then NASN). But I was happily surprised when I discovered West Wing reruns on FOX.

At first I thought, "How good could FOX be?" But The Practice was there, as well as Lost. Unfortunately when I watch Lost, I feel, well lost. Watching West Wing on Monday nights has become a ritual for me. The German hates it. Not because it is bad, but the English is VERY fast. After a few episodes during which the German would repeatedly ask, "What did he say? What did he say?" and I would get angry and tell him to shut up, we decided it was best that the West Wing be a solo ritual.

RTL Living has also been a nice discovery. There a lot of great cooking shows, although they are dubbed. A few months ago they started showing Inside the Actor's Studio, which has also become a favorite. Sure they are a few years old and have subtitles, but I love hearing English and people talking about one of my favorite subjects: the movies.

Tonight I watched Salma Hayek talk to James Lipton. Boy, she is fantastic . . . and hot.

One of my favorite parts of the show is the end, when Mr. Lipton asks the actors a series of questions. The questionnaire concept was originated by Bernard Pivot, which he adapted from Proust. These simple questions reveal a lot about a person. I am sharing mine with you. Feel free to chime in with your own answers.

1. What is your favorite word?
Hope

2. What is your least favorite word?
C*** I hate the word so much that I can not even spell it.

3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Conversation and laughter

4. What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Hunger

5. What sound or noise do you love?
My son's laughter

6. What sound or noise do you hate?
A child in pain

7. What is your favorite curse word?
Scheisse. The German equivalent is so much better. It is longer and you can say it with more feeling.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
A professional chef or pastry baker

9. What profession would you not like to do?
A tax accountant

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Not too shabby.

3 comments:

Ms. Lolly said...

I love your answers! I'm going to thief this. Did you see the Martin Sheen episode? I think I fell in love with him even more which I did not think was possible! It's kind of funny that FOX is airing West Wing. Now if only we could find a real life McGarry! :-)

PS Lost is totally worth the mind bend to get to this past season. It was amazing and made all the confusion worthwhile!

Rositta said...

I loved the West Wing but can't get reruns of episodes I missed. Our wonderful Canadian government has decided that we can't have FOX, grrr...ciao

Carrie said...

You want to really annoy the German with American culture? Makw him watch "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" or "The real housewives of atlanta"...tell him those people are not normal!