Friday, June 26, 2009

In Memoriam

The stuff I wanted to write about it going to take a back seat for a few hours.

Last night I turned off my computer around 10:15pm. It had been a productive and simple day. The German was flicking through the channels and I went upstairs to bed.

Around 7am I was awoken by the Dude stirring. As always, I went downstairs to get him a glass of milk and put on the morning coffee (or Mama's Juice as we call it). Every morning I turn on my computer and have a quick look at the headlines and email before heading back upstairs to get the boys up.

My landing page, Yahoo, said, "He died too young," and there was a picture of Michael Jackson. Huh? I knew that Farrah Fawcett had died the day before, so I thought they had mixed up the information. But, no, it was true, the King of Pop was gone.

It was very strange. When I told the German, he just sort of stared. We both grew up listening to Michael Jackson. For some he was the Jackson 5, for me was always the guy on the cover of "Bad." The German said to me, "You know I always thought that he would die young and I wondered what it would be like. But this is just unexpected."

Farrah was just a few years before my time, but Michael Jackson's success in the 80's and early 90's, as well as the rise of MTV, were part of the soundtrack of my youth. When everyone was just standing in front of a camara swaying to music, he made music videos into movies.

About seven years ago, when the German and I first met, we hung out a lot at my apartment in Oldenburg. One night we watched the controversial documentary in which he argued that there was nothing wrong with children sharing his bedroom. Back then the German and I wondered aloud about how sad and lost he looked. For a man that had everything, in the end he had nothing.

Say what you will about his private life, but he endured a lot as a child and always soldiered on with his music. Perhaps he did make mistakes, big ones. But in the end, not even music was not enough. He was just too darned tired.

I hope you find your peace, Michael.

I know the words to so many of my songs, so picking the best is difficult, but this is definitly one of my favorites. Hit it.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think if everyone thought the child scandal was a circus, we haven't seen anything yet. I don't even what to think about what's going to come out now.

Ms. Lolly said...

I still think of him as that kid from the 80s moonwalking across the stage. I'm such a fan of his music it is ridiculous. That lean in this video alone was ridiculous. But it also makes me feel weird. Like I won't watch Woody Allen movies because I think he is a perv but for some reason I can still listen to Michael. And even though he was acquitted, how do you not pause when you realize most of his money was lost in payouts to families? But the big thing for me was when he held his kid out the window. That act especially left me disgusted. And yet there's no way to deny the sheer awesomeness of his music. I don't know. There is just such a tragedy to his story.