Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Things I Should be Blogging About

These days I have my head in a book and my eyes on my laptop. Unfortunately, I have not be able to enjoy the lazy days of summer because I am working on a research paper. I need to finish is by the end of the month in order to have time to edit before my presentation in September.

So I have not blogged about the things that may be note worthy, such as . . .

1. Governor Palin's resignation. I do not care how she spins it, she is quitting her job. Now, she may be quitting her job to pursue another one or because ethics complaints have made it difficult or she is running out of money or she is sick of media scrutiny of her family. But make no mistake, she is quitting. I just do not want to see her in four years running for president. Sometimes you do have to hunker down and keep going in the face of criticism. Clinton did not resign. Heck, even Bush did not resign and lord knows that his numbers were not good at the end. The voters trusted you, Ms. Palin. How are they supposed to trust you again.

2. If she did resign because of media scrutiny, I do understand that. Take the recent Vanity Fair article. It was a model of non-journalism and all around hatchet job. There was nothing new and only innuendo. Sad really.

I make fun of Fox, Rush, Ann C. and the like, but really anyone yelling at me and making stupid remarks annoys me; thus Keith Olbermann also makes my hair hurt and why won't Chris Matthews tone it down a notch? Vanity Fair used to be my favorite magazine, but now I am not so sure.

3. The Sotomayor confirmation hearings are underway providing a bit of political theater for those on vacation. I cannot figure out what Lindsey Graham's problem is. Yesterday he sat like a cat ready to pounce. He asking stupid questions ("Do you know what realism means? What is a strict constructionist?). He does know that she went to law school, right? He called her a bully while bullying her. "Do you have the temperament to be on the court?" Well, she did not throw things at you after 30 minutes of condescending conversation, so I would say that she is covered. By the way, Sen. Graham, would you ask a man those questions?

4. The German is on vacation and able to take on the Dude more often so that I can get some work done. Loving Husband points are starting to add up. Oddly enough, our little one, who would sleep all the time, is going through sleeptus-interuptus stage. Around 1am or 2am he wakes up and starts talking to himself. This goes on for about an hour or two before going back to sleep. Normally he would then sleep until 8am, but these days he is up at 6:50am. You could set your watch by it. Hopefully it will pass soon.

5. I took up a cooking challenge from Christina over at AmiExpat . My Red Berry Pudding (Rote Grütze) is not the exact same recipe that she used. I had four different kinds of berries (blackberries, strawberries, red currants, raspberries) and no cinnamon. Still tasty and all homemade, even the vanilla sauce that made with real vanilla bean!


6. Summer means bathing beauties, and it has been hard getting the Dude out of the water.

5 comments:

Ms. Lolly said...

Sounds like we are having similar summers :-) I'm glad you updated so I have an excuse to goof off at work!

1. Agreed. But really it is a fascinating political maneuver if only for its complete lack of obvious strategy. I mean she must realize that in a couple of years she will have to get through primaries with Governors like Romney who actually finished out their terms. Her conference reminded me of the “you won’t have Nixon to kick around anymore” moment. Why she didn’t pick up a phone and consult with a PR person I have no idea. At least it came off as authentic-garbled and confusing but still authentic.

2. Check out the new Dee Dee Myers article for food for thought. Although I read the library’s copy since I canceled my subscription during the primaries lol And don’t even get me started on Chris Matthews!

3. Lindsey is being Lindsey. I love these hearings though. All the time being spent on the ridiculous and so far nothing on her substantive rulings. I disagree with some of her decisions but she is certainly as qualified as any of the others on the court. It makes me curious to go back and look at the hearings of O’Connor and Ginsburg. My guess is there is something there as to the treatment of women in the public sphere.

4. Don’t you wonder what he is saying? Maybe he has the recipe for world peace!

5. I tried to be Betty Crocker this week. I failed, though my apron is super cute.

And that is one cute kid you've got missy!

J said...

I agree with #1 and totally agree with #3. Some of the questions Sotomayor is being asked are just absurd.

Expat Traveler said...

The dude is getting so big!

Jeffrey said...

The Dude looks Sehr Deutsch already. Hm.

Anonymous said...

Regarding your opening comment about news with a bias slant-- tell me where you can find news without some kind of bias and I will show you that you too have a "bias".

Now, on a differant subject, You are coming on very sporadically. Don't try to tell us you are THAT busy.

Grandpa