Friday, August 07, 2009

Goodbye John Hughes

You know when Michael Jackson passed, it was not that much of a surprise. Somehow we knew his story would end tragically and fast. Farrah had had cancer. Bea and Walter, well, they were getting up there in years.

This morning I read that John Hughes died yesterday. He was 59. He had a hart attack while walking down the street. Whoa.

If Michael Jackson was the soundtrack to my childhood, Hughes's movies were the visual. I watched them all . . . many, many times. They remain guilty pleasures. Admit it, if Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful or Sixteen Candles are on TV, you will probably stop and watch part of it.

Almost all of the cultural references that I make come from these movies. It is so strange to think that someone from that part of my life (i.e. my childhood) could die just like that. My feelings today are the same as when Jim Henson passed away. This certainly does not help my apprehension about turning 32 next week.

John Hughes withdrew from Hollywood in the 90s to spend time with his family and run a farm. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, 2 kids and 4 grand kids.

Okay, I will admit . . . I actually have most of these movies on DVD. Tonight I will watch and drink a glass of wine to you John, and a life well lived.

PS I LOVE this video below! I did cry just a bit.

3 comments:

Bethy{aka}lilsis said...

I own all his movies too- no shame in it for they will always be good ;-)

The Antiques Diva™ said...

I'll be quoting you on this "If Michael Jackson was the soundtrack to my childhood, Hughes's movies were the visual."
I'm so sad to hear about his death!

Snooker said...

Oh my!
I was on Amazon's main page for only a moment on Friday and saw a mention of Mr. Hughes but thought nothing of it except that I've been meaning to buy Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

How sad.

I've stolen the video from you.
Thanks for including it. I didn't cry, but I did have to see it twice because the memories kept flowing.