Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Monday Nights Just Got Better

At the beginning of the summer, our satellite service stopped showing the German Bundesliga Football games (THE professional soccer league here in Germany). This caused a little bit of anxiety in our household. It was clear that we would need a new satellite service that would provide both the soccer games (for the German) and the West Wing (for me). Unfortunately, this left us with only option . . .

Rupert Murdoch.

Premiere was the only satellite/cable system that could provide all the channels that we wanted. Naturally, a few months before we decided to do this, Rupert Murdoch bought Premiere and changed the name to "Sky."

The German and I were NOT happy. We do not care for Murdoch, as he is a monopolist billionaire who is buying as much media as possible in order to push his own political agenda. Monopolies in the media is undemocratic, but that does not appear to bother many people . . . except for us.

But Murdoch is clever. Our need for soccer and random movies and TV entertainment trumped our distaste. We swallowed our scruples and bought in.

Of course, other than a dirty feeling brought on by selling out our principles, we have had no problems. The service is good and we got a great first year fee. We even added a few movie channels that allow us to watch new releases IN ENGLISH! Sunday night movie night ruled in the house this summer, but now (American) football season is on and ESPN has taken over Sunday nights.

I do have a complaint: FOX changed my Monday night ritual!! They have taken off West Wing. Season 4 had just ended (CJ was mourning the loss of her cutie secret service guy). Now they have some crappy show called "LA Crash." I am sure Murdoch is not to blame, but I cannot help but wonder . . .

They made it up to me by adding "Mad Men" to the Monday night line up. The German and I LOVE THIS SHOW. First, the English is not too fast, so the German doesn't have to ask me ever five minutes what is going on. Second, Jon Hamm and January Jones are HOT! Eye candy for both of us. Finally, the story is great and keeps you guessing. We love the attention to detail and the 1960s feel of the show. Last night a mom lite a cigarette in the baby's room. We almost died! A different era indeed.

So, Mr. Murdoch, you are doing okay, but bring back West Wing . . . or else . . .

6 comments:

ian in hamburg said...

If you have to hold your nose to pay Murdoch, imagine what you'd have to do if it were that other media slimer Berlusconi ransoming holding your tube for ransom.

Anonymous said...

You just threw me for a (mini-)loop. :) West Wing on FOX? West Wing has ended and it was on NBC. So, I thought I clicked on an old post by accident (or I've time travelled!)...but then Mad Men is recent. Then, the clouds parted - thanks to Google! German Fox! You were referring to German Fox! Whew!

Uebrigens, I enjoy reading your blog and your insight on the German political system.

Claire said...

Ian: Don't get me started on Belusconi. That guy . . .

Anonymous: Opps! German FOX airs West Wing re-runs. I blogged about the before . . . should have created a link.

Bethy{aka}lilsis said...

My husband got rid of our cable but I have had plenty of luck finding sites that show some of my favorites online- if I really love it, I hate to wait til it comes to dvd!
By the way, you would recommend Mad Men? I haven't seen it but thought that I should try it.

Claire said...

Bethy: Television is a big thing for me, especially shows in English. The internet is helpful, and I (heart) itunes. I would definitely recommend Mad Men. The acting is good and so is the production. Some of the scenes are actually very quite but loaded with meaning (a man pouring whiskey into a glass). My husband thinks it is one of the best made shows on TV right now.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered adding a second LNB pointing to the Astra 28.5 deg position to your satellite dish?

The satellite at this positions has all the UK channels (BBC, ITV, channel 4 ...) who usually show the US series long before the German (even pay TV) stations do. And they a free to air, no subscription required.

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Investment should be well below 100,- Euros if you already have a dish pointing to Astra 19.2° (the one that carries German SKY).