Monday, February 22, 2010

Two Years


Yes, it has been awhile. Motherhood, work, marriage . . . it can all be so Topsy-turvey sometimes. In an effort to make things better I am going to be making a few changes. I am excited about these changes and will share them this week (if anyone still reads this anymore!).

Today, however, it is all about the Dude! Two years. Two years, my little guy. I love him so much more today than the day he was born. Is that weird? This despite the fact that he got up at 5:45am this morning and had the smelliest green poop all day.

This is such a fun time. He is developing interests and learns so quick. We can even have a conversation . . . sort of.

This is not to say that the "terrible twos" are not already making an appearence. The Dude does not like it when his (very strong) will is thwarted! I have no idea where he gets this strong will, but boy it is tough!

Sometimes I still get a little flack from other mommies I know because I let the Dude watch TV. I do not park him in front of it, but I do have to say, Thank God for Mickey Mouse! I do not feel too bad. The Dude no longer gets a pacifier, brushes his teeth, has a vocabulary over 200 words, can identify colors, letters and numbers, in German and English. He also is doing pretty well with potty training. I think we are doing okay.

6 comments:

ann said...

ugh - just lost my comment, but the dude is adorable and i am looking forward to hearing your news.

ian in hamburg said...

About TV, it's not as bad as all that, but you can make yourself feel better about it by making sure that whatever he watches is in English. On a trip to Canada when our daughter was about two I taped hours and hours of Teletubbies - which she loved right away - plus other kids's shows that we introduced to her gradually as she got older.

Anonymous said...

Hey you grew up watching TV, and you turned out ok! Love his hair. It reminds me of you at that age. Give him a big kiss from all of us.

Love Mom

christina said...

Awww, he's such a big boy! And don't worry about the TV. I let my kids watch in both languages and they learned (good) vocabulary that they would have never learned from me. I also think English TV/DVD's are great to expose kids to accents and tones of voice different than your own.

Can't wait to hear the "new" news! It IS hard to balance everything.

Carrie said...

I think you are ok as long as he's not watching CSI or 48 Hour Mystery, etc. It's the video games I don't understand...I just got my 1st game system and I'm 32...there was a kid in the store making fun of me because of it and he was like 8. Apparently he's been playing video games since he was in preschool. I don't know, there's just something wrong with that. (He was having his parental unit buy him some violent game...of course.)

Expat Traveler said...

Oh yes Claire, I still can't believe how time flies... I still think of you just having him... Hmm and we are still kidless... Not sure if I should laugh or what.

Anyhow, I'm excited to hear about your changes. Hopefully the dog will work out for the better!